Please Help, Any Ideas On How To Fix A Dry Cake.

Decorating By acadian Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 8:53pm by FrostinGal

acadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acadian Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:18am
post #1 of 12

I baked a 12 x 15 cake as I normally do. But now that I am preparing to put the cake together the cake seems to be very dry. Is there anything that i can do, short of baking another cake. Like pour something on the cake to moisten it? Thanks so much!!!

11 replies
jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:30am
post #2 of 12

I've never used it but they say that simple syrup can help.... maybe someone else will know more about it.

Ren-agade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren-agade Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:31am
post #3 of 12

This might help. I've seen chefs take spray bottels, filled with simple syrup or alcohol, and spray down the cake befor you ice it.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:33am
post #4 of 12

Simple syrup will work. Last night I even used some torani's syrup, just to make sure on a cake! Put it in a spray bottle and spray the cake!

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:34am
post #5 of 12

I have a recipe that is absolutely delicious which has you spoon on a syrup after the cake has cooled. It always turns out super moist. For the syrup in that recipe it is a mixture of about 1 cup orange juice and 1/4 cup of sugar. But I am sure you can create any type of syrup to go with what flavor cake you made. It should help to moisten it up, and maybe add a little flavor too.

acadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acadian Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:40am
post #6 of 12

Thank you so much for the help, I will try a simple syrup spray. Thanks cheesecakes galore i will be sure to try the orange juice next time. I don't have any right now. I knew I could count on you guys to get me out of this jam. Thanks!!!

Necey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Necey Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 12

I've only been baking cakes for profit for several months now , but I have already learned that simple syrup, not diamonds, is a girl's best friend. icon_lol.gif You don't have to use large amounts and a "batch" lasts for a few weeks in a mason jar in the fridge. I really have been saved a few
times now by using simple syrup, especially with 'scratch cakes'. Hope this helps. The recipe is as follows:
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
Stir until sugar dissolves and allow to boil gently for 12 minutes. Cool and use as needed. Flavoring may also be added at the end, usually I use vanilla, but have used 'strawberry' and 'rum n butter' & 'coconut' Lorann oil flavors in the past. I usually put mine on the cakes with a pastry brush. and also have drizzled it from a silicone brush or spray bottle. Whatever is comfortable for you. I first made a single layer cake to find out just how much I needed to use on a cake I would be selling. Hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:13am
post #8 of 12

It could be several things, your recipe, your oven temp., or how you let it rest/cool once out of the oven.

I always have excellent results letting my cakes rest in the pan for exactly 10 minutes, level the top, turn it out onto serving platter, then let rest another 10 minutes, then wrap with Reynolds Plastic Wrap and let cool to room temp. I tend to bake my cakes the day before decorating, so this process works very well for me. The cake remains moist and has rested/settled and is ready for torting/icing the next day. It also helps that I am not tired or stressed for time, I get to relax and enjoy the decorating part, which is my favorite part anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

Why Reynolds Wrap? It is the ONE plastic wrap that always adheres right to the cake without a lot of fuss. Give it a try and see if it works for you. thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 10:18am
post #9 of 12

I use a ketschup type squirt bottle with a pointy lid that has a small hole in the top--y'know the kinda white-ish clear-ish ones from the cake store--and I just do a big winding concentric scroll all over the top of each torted layer. I just go 'round and 'round from the outside to the center. This is faster and easier for me.

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:58am
post #10 of 12

I have heard that simple syrup can cause problems around the base of the fondant..sort of leaking, making the fondant break down.
Has anyone had this problem?
I will have to try the simple syrup too. Would vanilla essence be enough or should I use vanilla bean to flavour it richly with vanilla?
Thanks!

Bearkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bearkitty Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 11:21am
post #11 of 12

Hmmm... I was thinking maybe if you had flavored jello in your cupboards to just prepare the jello as directed, poke some holes into the cake, pour some jello while still warm over the intire cake, stick into the fridge for a few (covered of coarse) so that the jello can do its jelling thing, then take out and decorate as usual.
Not sure if it will make your frosting all soagy or not but I have seen the recipe before and have not yet had a chance to try it and sounds so yummy icon_confused.gif

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:53pm
post #12 of 12

When adding syrup, flavored pre-made or homemade, don't go crazy! It takes a lot less syrup than you think! My first time using syrup, the syrup leaked out the bottom of the icing. I just dab the syrup on with a pastry brush or a swirling from the center out with a small squeeze bottle on larger cakes.
Syrup is a case of less is more! Also, if the cake has overnight to sit once assembled, the moisture will permeate the entire cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%