I Think They Need Baking Powder

Baking By shiney Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 5:47am by shiney

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 10

I had heard somewhere that you could leave the baking powder out of cookies, so I halved the amount in this last batch, it flopped. Spread something terrible (last time I said spread like my aunt edna, guessing that was a bit crude). Guessing you do actually need the baking powder.
Anyone got any idea?

9 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 1:29am
post #2 of 10

I don't think the spread would be due to presence/absence of baking powder. It is usually because the butter/shortening/margarine melts before the cookie starts to "set". Starting with COLD dough on cold cookie sheets helps.

Just my opinion, though.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:57am
post #3 of 10

I agree with RP, the baking powder wouldn't cause spreading -- unless there's too much of it. I use 1 teaspoon per half batch if using NFSC. Leaving out the BP gives it more of a shortbread-like texture.

shiney Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:59am
post #4 of 10

Well, I can't figure it out then. I made this batch last week, and didn't let my flour come to room temp, and figured that was the problem. I froze the leftover dough, put it in fridge for few hours, rolled, cut and left them in the fridge for about 30 min before baking. What else could it be I wonder?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:05am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney

I had heard somewhere that you could leave the baking powder out of cookies, so I halved the amount in this last batch, it flopped. Spread something terrible (last time I said spread like my aunt edna, guessing that was a bit crude). Guessing you do actually need the baking powder.
Anyone got any idea?

rotflmao icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:18am
post #6 of 10

My mom told me years ago that screwing around with the baking powder (or baking soda) in a recipe is a certain recipe for DISASTER!! I always do what the recipe tells me.

I don't know the science of it, but I wonder if the lack of baking powder made the cookies spread out because without the powder they didn't raise.

Why would you want to reduce it or leave it out anyway? It's not like it's an expensive ingredient...

dennettesdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dennettesdelectables Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:21am
post #7 of 10

your right ruth0209, w/o bp they don't want to hold shape, w/ too much bp they can taste gritty and possibly are to firm....

working on the leaves, and trees for a landscape cake that I barely have time to do in between buying my first home...ugh, the challenges of being a stay at home mom..

shiney Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:33am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

My mom told me years ago that screwing around with the baking powder (or baking soda) in a recipe is a certain recipe for DISASTER!! I always do what the recipe tells me.

I don't know the science of it, but I wonder if the lack of baking powder made the cookies spread out because without the powder they didn't raise.

Why would you want to reduce it or leave it out anyway? It's not like it's an expensive ingredient...

Ruth, I read in a thread that leaving it out or using less would help the cookie keep its shape, so thought I would give it a shot. Shot myself right in the foot is what I did icon_rolleyes.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:44am
post #9 of 10

I see. Well, at least it's just a batch of cookies, huh? Live and learn... I accidentally left the baking powder out of my cornbread. That was not a pretty picture, either. Hockey puck anyone? teehee

shiney Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:47am
post #10 of 10

uhhh, there's a way to make cornbread other than ripping open the packet and adding milk? Wow, what an informative day I've had icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%