I Am Going To Need Alot Of Help With This One!

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 3:40pm by MomLittr

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 9

I just received an order for a 50th birthday cake for June of this year. They would like a "mad hatter" (believe she means topsy turvey) cake to serve 50-80 people. I have never done one of these cakes so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking it will have to be 3 layers. She is sending me a copy of the invitation for the color scheme. Would it be better in buttercream or fondant? They live in Philly (about an hour from me) and she said she would pick up the cake.........I'm thinking even if I don't charge her, would rather drive it at least half way there myself. Speaking of which, what is the going price for a cake like this (per person)?

Again, ANY advice or help you can give me will be appreciated. I think I may have to do one or two practice cakes to get the technique down (folks in my office have already volunteered to eat and critique the practice cakes)!

deb

8 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 9

Hi there, have you seen thisvvideo on you tube. Its done by one of opur CC member,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHY_F53ClJ8&feature=channel_page

HTH.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 9

Haven't attempted one myself yet but I was reading this thread and it gave a lot of helpful information.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=617180&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

HTH! icon_smile.gif

MomLittr Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you for the information. Looks like I will have to do a few practice cakes for this one!

Is there a preferred method - buttercream or fondant - to do these?

Also, what do you charge for this type of cake? As I said before, ANY helpful hints on this would be greatly appreciated.

deb

MomLittr Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 9

The customer finally got back to me and sent a copy of the invitation for color choice. She decided on a cake for approx. 50 people. Now from all the instructions I see 3 different sizes on each level - what sizes would you use to feed 50? Can I go 3 levels?

deb

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:48am
post #6 of 9

My advice:
Read, re-read, and make a hard copy of this tutorial:

http://cakecentral.com/article1-Instructions-For-Building-A-Whimsical-Tilted-Cake.html

Sturdy cake, as close to pound cake as you can get.

NO FILLINGS, only enough buttercream between layers to hold them together.

Fondant.

SPS support system pieces for the sizes that you need (I think globalsugart.com may be carrying this, now).

Charge a lot of $$ to compensate for the practice cake and any portion of delivery.

If you can't drive it the entire distance (and I would, and charge her for it--both ways), then make sure that she DOESN'T PUT IT IN THE TRUNK OR ON A SEAT, because if she does either, she WILL call you and tell you that it exploded and/or fell to pieces. It needs to be transported on a completely flat surface, in a box, with the air conditioning on.

I'd suggest, too, making at least one full sized practice cake so that you can sort out the potential problems--and there will be problems because these cakes are in no way ordinary. I'd even drive it around a bit to see how it responds.

HTH
Rae

MomLittr Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:51am
post #7 of 9

Thank you Rae for all the advice. I did print out those instructions and, although they don't look complicated, definitely need to practice (provided she agrees to my price).

deb

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 9

It isn't so much that it's complicated as it is fragile. I've only made one and used the hole method. Unfortunately by the next day the back of the cake was starting to rip out. Thankfully if was for family and I held it together with skewers until the party. I didn't use a pound cake (just a cake mix) so I definately recommend that or a very sturdy cake. Good luck!

MomLittr Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 9

I ususally doctor up the cakes and they are pretty firm. I can also use WASC as that is really firm.

What size cake rounds would you use to do a 3-part that will serve 50?

deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%