Color Bleed

Baking By deecie Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 7:03pm by TracyLH

deecie Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 5

I made 125 cookies for a benefit and the background is white, I waited 2 days for it to dry and then I added green and blue lettering. Why is some of the green and blue bleeding? How do you prevent this? icon_confused.gif

4 replies
prterrell Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 5

Sounds like the moisture from the icing you used for the lettering leached into the background color, softening it enough to take on some of the color from the lettering.

TracyLH Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 5

So sorry this happened to you! icon_sad.gif I try to prevent this by using as little of the gel as possible and mixing up my RI the night before to let the colors deepen. Also, I try to make sure that my top layer of RI isn't too runny. This helps me. (as I knock on wood!)

Edited to say that I use Antonia74's RI recipe found here on CC. That made the biggest difference for me!!! Here is the link if you need it:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1983-Antonia74-Royal-Icing.html

Alagoas Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with Tracy... another thing is "coloring" white icing white... that helps a lot and makes white brighten...

TracyLH Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 5

Right there with Alagoas! I use Americolor Bright White and love it! It makes the white pop and balances out the tinge from the pure van. extract I use. Just be careful not to add too much as it can impart a taste. I mix it and let it sit. I am not sure that really affects the color, but it makes me walk away and stop adding more and more. icon_lol.gif One time I overdid it and I about needed sunglasses to look at the cookies! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%