Putting On Luster Dust????

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 6:04am by Frankyola

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 12

Whenever I try to brush on luster dust dry it sprinkles all over my cake. Is there a certain technique that I am missing? I put it on after I have all the pieces on my cake. TIA for any and all tips. icon_smile.gif

11 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 12

Hi, do you mean when you lustre dust the accents which goes on a cake? If so dust the accents first and then stick them on the cake. icon_smile.gif

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:31am
post #3 of 12

Will the dust rub off or will I leave my finger prints on the accents if I put the dust on before placing the accents on the cakes? This is why I haven't tried that before.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:45am
post #4 of 12

I put luster dust on my accents before placing them on my cake I just Handel them very carefully

Molly2

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:50am
post #5 of 12

Me too. I dust my stuff first (using dry dust and a cakes-only blush brush) and then put it on the cake. I don't find fingerprints or rubbing off a big problem.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 9:19am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilabelle

Will the dust rub off or will I leave my finger prints on the accents if I put the dust on before placing the accents on the cakes? This is why I haven't tried that before.

When I lustre dust the accents, first I place them on a kitchen towel and then dust them. Then using a little brush turn them over and dab a little bit of water or glue on them and take it to the brush and stick them the cake. Hope it make sence.

thumbs_up.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 12

If you lightly staem the pieces after dusting that will seal the dust, but be careful when hot, will also become soft, when you steam too much

Ursula40 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:24pm
post #8 of 12

If you lightly steam the pieces after dusting that will seal the dust, but be careful when hot, will also become soft, when you steam too much

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:52pm
post #9 of 12

I have been meaning to ask the same question. I was making a cake yesterday, not uploaded yet, which was driving me crazy. I made all the lettering ahead of time which I painted in gold dust. Applying the letters took me forever, and because they were being fixed on a dark brown board every smudge showed up. So annoying, really pulls down the overall appearance when it smudges like that. I had never thought of steaming so that is a great idea.

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 1:47pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

If you lightly steam the pieces after dusting that will seal the dust, but be careful when hot, will also become soft, when you steam too much

What are you using to steam them?

Ursula40 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 12

Usually my hot water boiler with gumpaste flowers, but I've heard of people using a steam iron, not too close and quick pass, be careful, that it doesn't drop water

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:04am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

If you lightly staem the pieces after dusting that will seal the dust, but be careful when hot, will also become soft, when you steam too much

Totally agree with Ursula40, I use coffee kettle and it works really good!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%