Stumbled Acrossed Trove Of Wilton Cake Stuff@ Hardware Store

Decorating By angelicconfections Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 8:42pm by ShanB

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 3

I though this was so funny, I just had to share. My son's birthday is coming up and he wants pokemon for his birthday cake. Andy, my son, picked out a pokemon cake out of one of my wilton cake yearbooks but of course the Pikachu pan he wants is discontinued. Not a real problem, ebay is great for that. Andy also asked for some new fish for his fish tank, and so I went to the store where we had bought the tank 8 years ago. I didn't decorate cakes back then so I never noticed thier little section of cake pans and other wilton stuff. This is a little hardware store more from the era of 5&dime it is next to the local college and hasn't changed since the 1980's. Ok, well I looked and I had to laugh. They had an impressive stock of wilton stuff from the early 70's on forward. I found an old cookie monster pan, Rainbow Brite, Harry Potter, Pokemon and a bunch of others. The paper liners in the pans were very sun faded on the top ones but all were there. The pans still had the orginal price tags on them. I bought them nearly out of pans, the owner was tickled that I did. The owner is an older gentleman, from a time when nothing was garbage, like my grandmother washing storage bags and making rugs from bread bags. I also picked up lots of other things, candles, cake toppers but I stayed away from the colors icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 3

Aaahhhhhh the beauty of those wonderful, old, whole in the wall, tucked away hardware storesicon_smile.gif

ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 3

I was just at a surplus store in my area and found the wilton mini ice cream cone pan for $5 along with a bunch of other pans. Cookie cutters for $0.10 and all the spatulas etc were $1. Silicon cupcake molds were $.99 for a set of 6 in all different shapes. Can't beat the prices. i bought a bunch of stuff too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%