How Long Do Cakes Last?

Decorating By ambolil Updated 9 Nov 2013 , 3:11am by blwilley

ambolil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambolil Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 7

(I understand they can be frozen) I was just watching an episode of charm city cakes....they said they had a cake completed and out for about a week prior to the date of delivery? How far in advance can you make a cake and how long will it still be good?

6 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 7

It depends - rich fruit cake, covered and decorated in royal icing - no problem.

Here - Czech republic - there is a cake, where you bake sponge cake, torte (3 layers), give the 1st and the last layer a coat of jam and sink the thicker middle layer in a mixture of simple syrup, jam and rum. You need then set the cake together (back in the cake pan). On top of this comes weight, you let it set for a day or overnight. Over this cake comes icing made from sugar and lemon juice. There can be nothing spoiled.

But a cake such as made with whipped cream or decorated with it? You have few hours out of fridge.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 7

The average box mix cake here in the US will be good for up to 3 days at room temp; Properly wrapped it will last about 7 days stored in the frig and 1 year in the fzr.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 1:03am
post #4 of 7

Last December I turned 30 and I made myself a birthday cake on a saturday. It was supposed to be served on sunday except we ended up having to reschedule to that thursday.. which then was rescheduled to Sunday... 8 days later. It was hershey's chocolate cake filled and iced in IMBC and covered in fondant. I kept it in the fridge and a week later it was still perfectly fine. I wouldn't do that for a customer but for my own consumption it was perfectly fine.

cakemoss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemoss Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 5:46am
post #5 of 7

Can anyone help please?Champagne - Champagne styles made simple
(menu)
The fizz factor

It makes any event go with a swing, but with so many styles to choose from, buying Champagne can be more than a little confusing. Fionnuala Synnott matches the style to the occasion

One of a Kind - Single-Vineyard Champage

The Champagne region is fizzing with excitement about single-vineyard cuvées right now. Michael Edwards investigates the terroir-based approach and recommends some of the finest bottles available

That Special Something - Champagne Beginners Guide

For most of us, a celebration is incomplete without a glass of champers. But what is it about Champagne that gives its wines that je ne sais quoi? Giles Fallowfield unlocks the secrets of the worlds favourite fizz

Non-Vintage Champagne

We Brits guzzle more Champagne than any other country, and most of it is non-vintage. Giles Fallowfield talks us through the huge variety on offer

Prestige Cuvee

Champagne is the drink we turn to for celebrations. But for a real treat, says Giles Fallowfield, we should be popping the corks of prestige cuvées, the Champagne houses highest-quality wines

Vintage Champagne

We Brits consume more vintage Champagne than any other country. But, asks Giles Fallowfield, what makes this particular wine so distinctive?

Kneed to cook a cake today as I am going on holiday and delivery it tomorrow BUT the cake will not be eaten until Friday! I need a sponge cake that will last, I was thinking Madeira cake but worried as I did a test run and put it in the fridge because of the butter cream and jam. When I went to eat it the cake was all dry and uneatable. Would the cake be ok out of the fridge? And does the jam start to go mouldy? Is the butter cream ok out of the fridge for 6-7 days? Someone please help
Many thanks X

cakemoss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemoss Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 5:51am
post #6 of 7

Once a cake is cooked say today and decorated how long would say a Madeira sponge last? Plus the butter cream and the jam ?

I did a cake test with Madeira cake and it was to dry to eat after 3 days! So it will have to be stored in a cool place out of a fridge!

I need to cook today and ice for delivery tomorrow and the cake will not be eaten until Friday as I am going on holiday.

Many thanks x

blwilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blwilley Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 3:11am
post #7 of 7

Hi again.  This response is 2 yrs. & 5 months late, but here goes...

This is a little of 'FYI', and a little about myself

I have only been into this cake thing about 9-10 months, so have no idea what a Madeira sponge cake is.  I have been on c raftsy, yummy arts, and several other sites trying to learn as much as I can.  I just love looking at all the pictures.  I really love all the youtube sites.  I have learned so much, but not enough...

Back on track, probably the most important, and useful, thing that I have picked up is the use of 'simple syrup'!  It will make a cake last just about forever(a slight exaggeration there), and it enhanced the flavor greatly.

I have had sooo many requests for my 'strawberry cakes', a flavor that I normally would not think would be so popular.  I have had people tell me that they loved my strawberry cake, when it is a flavor that they usually did not care for.  And they all comment on how moist my cakes are.  And that is using a regular box mix.  So it has to be the simple syrup, either brushed or sprayed on each layer liberally.  And it works just as well plain, with buttercream, &/or fondant.

I made my hubby a carrot cake Wednesday before last, using this method, only he did not want ANY icing at all.  Just the simple syrup to keep it moist.  It stayed out on the counter in the kitchen, no refrigeration.  He just finished the last piece yesterday morning with his coffee, AND commented on how good it still was.  That was a total of 8 days.

Can you just imagine???  ME????  I probably don't bake a cake a year.  And had never heard of fondant or gumpaste till last Christmas.  Now I am making my own MMF, gumpaste, sugar lace, and came up with the 'food grade' mold recipe that is on this site.  And boy am I having fun!  People are actually  asking ME to make their birthday, and baby shower, and anniversary cakes!  Will wonders never cease!  Never knew retirement would be like this.  One person, not a family member, even reimbursed me for the materials that went into their 3 layer cake, which put $80 back into my pocket. 

Enough on me, so glad I found you & your cakes!  Bonnie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%