How Long You? Meringue =]

Baking By miasuzzette Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 10:49am by JanH

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 4

icon_biggrin.gif How long you beat Egg Whites,To get a Soft Peak & Which, Paddle you use, Thanks for your Responds, Have a Good Day. thumbs_up.gif Still learning.

Margie From Ct thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 4

I'm no expert but this is what I was told and hopefully it'll at least give you some answers...

You should always use the whisk attachment (the one with the thin wire-like loops) in order to incorporate as much air as possible. Beat on high for at least 2 mins and add more time depending on how stiff you want the egg whites.

You have to eyeball it though and see when it "looks right". You can tell if it's the right consistency by taking a regular whisk, dipping it in and holding it upright - if the egg whites stand up but still flop around then it's "soft"; if the egg whites stand up and don't move much then it's "stiff". HTH.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 4

Before beating egg whites, always make sure your bowl and the whisk are completely grease free. I was mine in hot soapy water (Dawn dish soap) then rinse in hot water and then for extra insurance, I wipe them down with a paper towel dampened with white vinegar. Adding 1/8 tsp of cream of tartar per egg white before you start whipping will also help you get the most rise out of the egg whites. Old egg whites work better than those from fresh eggs. Also, whites should always be at room temp before you start whipping. As for the amount of time, it depends on how many egg whites you are whipping and how powerful your mixer is. I usually whip them until they look frothy on a medium speed and then kick it up to a high speed until they are the consistency I want. To test the whites, pull the wisk straight up out of the whites and then hold the wisk horizontally, if the whites on the end of the wisk curve down, they are soft, if they stay straight out, they are stiff.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 10:49am
post #4 of 4

A great site for learning scratch baking (and all the associated techniques):

www.joyofbaking.com

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%