They Won't Answer My Calls! What To Do?!

Business By sweet1122 Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 10:44pm by cakesdivine

sweet1122 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 10

So, wanting to this thing...legally (I'm in TX), I started by calling the state and calling another #, and another, and another, until finally I reached the health inspector's #. I've called several times and left messages. All I want to know (And I didn't leave this in the voicemails, just a general, please call me back), is okay, its illegal. Assume I rent a kitchen and I want to get licensed. WHAT DO I DO? How do I get licensed, inspected, etc.. What is the process? Insurance, everything, etc... I have NO idea and I can't find any information...

If someone can point me in the right direction or tell me the right person to call, I'll do anything icon_cry.gif . I live in Collin County.


9 replies
cinderspritzer Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 10

I'd say skip the health inspector right now, and call the department of agriculture directly. they can give you a starting place. they can send copies of the laws to you. get all that stuff first, then call them again and tell them you're going to rent a kitchen or whatever, and you need to know how to go about getting inspected and licensed. but ask them for the laws and a starting place first. when you get them, do your homework. it will be easier on your part.

mbt4955 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 10

I haven't read all of this, but if you have time to skim through it, I would say find someone who knows what they are talking about and send them a pm. I know there are a lot of Texas bakers on here who can point you in the right direction. Good luck!

MichelleM77 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 10

I would find an email for the health department or whoever you need to contact and drop them a line. That way you have your information in writing too.

drowsyrn Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 10

Small Business Administration will give you most of the info you need to get started. I used this site all the time when I started my shop.

jillmakescakes Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 10

I may be the only one who has done this, but I just walked right into my local HD to ask questions. I had a list prepared and wrote down the answers as they provided them!

I also looked up A TON of stuff on the state website.

cakesdivine Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 10

YOur county is governed by the State of Texas Health and Human Services department. You can find all the info you need there. here is the link if you rent an established kitchen. this is the link to be your own independant food establishment.

I emailed them and got a response within 24 hours of my request. Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

Edited to add the SBA will lead you astray don't involve them except if trying to get a business loan. They have no clue what is needed to be a licensed food establishment in Texas. They told one lady that it was perfectly okay AND ENCOURAGED to do your cake business from your home...WRONG!

Until the law is changed you can't do it in your home. Make sure you go online and sign the petition and contact your congressman to help get this law changed! thumbs_up.gif

drowsyrn Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 2:47am
post #8 of 10

Unfortunately, there are misinformed people in all professions. The SBA in Oklahoma was great!

sweet1122 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 10

Oh trust me! I've done all the contacting, signing, and calling weeks ago! I plan to do more this week, with the urgency. Thanks for all your help. I'll check the links and hopefully I can find some answers.

I'm so exhausted with dealing with stupidity when I make calls. ouch.gif

cakesdivine Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 10:44pm
post #10 of 10
Originally Posted by sweet1122

I'm so exhausted with dealing with stupidity when I make calls. ouch.gif

I so understand!.. Hang in there it will all eventually fall into place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%