Marshmellow Fondant

Decorating By cakecitycakes Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 4:53pm by lchris

cakecitycakes Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 13

I'm still a cake newbie but am trying to make the marshmellow fondant. Following the directions exactly my mixture looks all crumbly and isn't all stuck together, this confuses me. I've placed it all into a mound and covered it with plastic wrap into a ziplock and will check it out tomorrow after it has rested.

What am I doing wrong (I used a marshmellow fondant recipe from the site - I think it is Rhonda's recipe)? or is this the way the mixture is until it rests?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

12 replies
cakes22 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 13

I couldn't find the recipe you used, but did you use all the powdered sugar? I find that when I do MMF, I don't use all the sugar stated. I am usually down by a cup or more.

mlharvell Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 13

Let it rest overnight, then microwave it in 10 second increments, knead it, and it should work beautifully.

stsapph Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 13

If it is still crumbly after microwaving it, try kneading in some Crisco. That should help to bring back some moisture. HTH

cakecitycakes Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks for all your tips so far and I'll give it a try tomorrow!!!

As for the recipe, I actually didn't incorporate all the 7 cups of sifted icing sugar the recipe called for, I probably mixed in about 6 cups.

Creative_chika Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:35am
post #6 of 13

I'm also new to cakes, but I've made mmf a couple of times. I usually use a 16 oz. marshmallow, two tbs of water, and suposedly it supose to be 2 pounds of sifted confectioners sugar, but I use less. And finally I knead it until its smooth. Good luck!

bettinashoe Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:42am
post #7 of 13

Just a tip on making MMF. I always add only half the powdered sugar to the melted marshmallows and then add more as I am kneading the mixture. I don't think I've ever added the full amount of sugar called for in the recipe except the first time I made it and unfortunately that batch was crumbly and didn't turn out. My suggestion is to add more melted marshmallows to make the mixture workable. Once you get used to MMF, you'll absolutely love it so don't give up.

lchris Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 13

My first batch of MMF is 'resting'. So far, so good.
Wish me luck!

sweetjan Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 13

Let us know how it turns out.....!!

shelly-101 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 13

I dont know if you have a ka mixer but i make my mmf in the mixer with the dough hook makes it so much easier and less of a mess.

traceyjade Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:33pm
post #11 of 13

There are good videos on you tube, sometimes watching someone make it helps.

cakecitycakes Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:24am
post #12 of 13

I took the advice from the seasoned bakers (thanks!) and ended up adding some more softened/soupy marshmallow so I was then able to form a large ball and let it rest. It was frustrating not to know what the mixture should look like but now I know to add a little sifted icing sugar at a time and to watch for the forming of a ball/mound.
Thanks again!

lchris Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 4:53pm
post #13 of 13

Well, I made mine, and all was well, till I tried to make some flowers. I added tylose, a generous amount, and it was still so soft to cut out, and they never did harden.

So, do I keep adding ps? Was it too soft to start with. I didn't add quite 2 lbs. Maybe a cup, cup and a half leftover. I used Macsmom's recipe.

I'll keep at it, cause it taste great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%