My Top Fell Off

Decorating By 2chae Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 1:55am by KoryAK

2chae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2chae Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 10

I made a cake for a friend, 6" round on 10" round. I was bringing it to work since we work together. When I made my first turn, the top fell off! The whole thing, 6" round with wire thingies. I pulled over, put it back on, and went back home to fix it. What in the world happened? Please, any suggestions would be helpful.

9 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 10

If you put a dowel through the top layer all the way down to the cake base, it wil keep the two tiers together.

Also, when driving with cake, you have to drive extra carefully, take those turns nice and slow and gentle!

londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 10

I always put a bit of royal icing between each tier as a sort of glue. icon_biggrin.gif

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 10

Did you just stack or use some sort of support? I had a sliding issue on one of my first stacked cakes because I did not use anything to hold the top and bottom tier together. I use dowels or straws and when I have a reason to I am going to buy the SPS system (I do this for fun and not often enough to justify it).

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 10

misserica, you do know that SPS is super cheap, right? We're not talking SFS here.

And I can't imagine what would cause the top tier of a cake to fall off - if it was properly constructed and supported, of course.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:50am
post #6 of 10

Gosh I thought your top as in your shirt fell off! Now that would've been a first!

amwoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amwoods Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:34am
post #7 of 10

This just happened to me today. I was soooo upset. I'm new to the tiered cake thing, and I didn't put a dowel all the way through from the top tier to the very bottom. I did have dowels to support the top cake from sinking in but not one to secure tier to tier. I managed to fix the cake on site and the front was still in good shape, but I'll know for next time if I build my confidence up to do another one.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:48am
post #8 of 10

your top fell off well that made me come read, it had me intrigued hehe although i had a feeling what you meant..

I now also put dowelling right through all tiers whether 2tier or 3 or 4 etc... as i learnt the hard way ... i learnt about the dowel all the way through tho from here on cc such great ppl here with such fab advice and easy tips which i must say i seem to learn something new on here every time i come in.. so to that i say thanks to you all..

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:50am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCasualKitchen

Gosh I thought your top as in your shirt fell off! Now that would've been a first!

That was my first thought, too. Maybe that will help put things in perspective -- at least you were not carrying the cake into work when your top fell off. (What do you do at that point, drop the cake and grab your shirt? Put the cake down gently and THEN grab your shirt?)

See, it could have been worse. Although still disappointing, I am sorry about your cake.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:55am
post #10 of 10

Cake down gently!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%