Question About Americolor -- Making Icing In An Hour -- !!

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 3:48pm by lvspaisley

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 4

Hello my friends!

Last week, I made a practice run of babyshower cupcakes. The girl that ordered them wanted this sage colored icing to match the invitations. I bought every color of "green" that I could find and Americolor's "avocado" did the trick. But here's the thing: I need 2 batches of icing. I made one batch last week and counted the drops as I added them to get the right color. One batch (6 cups) took 26 drops. So I am figuring I'll need 52 drops to get the same color achieved? Yes?

Also, when I added that much, my buttercream got a little runny. How much EXTRA powdered sugar should I add to make up for that?

Thanks!!!! thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 4

I'm a "wing it" kind of gal when mixing my icing, are you mixing the color right in with your mixer? If so, I'd add the color and mix and add powdered sugar as needed until you get to the consistancy that you need. Hope that helps!

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 4

Americolor is very concentrated and 26 drops seems like an awful lot of color to me. I get very deep vivid colors with just a few drops. I think I'd start on the low end and add color and p.s. as needed until you achieve the desired color and consistency.

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the advice!! icon_smile.gif

I thought 26 was a lot too, but last week when I added the color, I ended up having to add that many to achieve the color sage she wanted. I started out a few drops at a time, but it wasn't dark enough. icon_sad.gif

You guys ROCK thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%