Pi Day Celebration

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 4:10am by xstitcher

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 12

March 14th is Pi day (3.14159). Any ideas for a cookie or cake? (I don't have a way to get a Pi-shaped cookie cutter in time.) I searched the gallery and forums, but come up with nothing.

Thanks!

11 replies
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 12

you can use use a square shape and then draw the symbol on a cookie or cake.

handcut a cake into the symbol

majka_ze Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 12

For cookie, simple but elegant could be round cookie with pi sign on it.
Complicated and idea for a cake: instead of simple pi sign make this sign from the numbers - run 3.14159... up, down and vertically

play with it a little

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 12

Aha! Math nerds unite! Lol....my hubby wanted to get married on Pi day. Too funny! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

nickshalfpint Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 12

That's funny, because my dd just asked me to make a cake for pi day and I didn't know what to do. Glad I found this thread!!!!!

sweetflowers Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 12

My son was a math prodigy so we celebrate all the nerdy things (and I'm a computer programmer). Go to www.thinkgeek.com, they have different shirt designs for pi you can adapt for a cake!

(sing along now) icon_lol.gif

If you want to go to Stanford or to Cal?
You need to learn to use Lopital
If you want to do a limit
with lots of zeros in it
lopital lopital lopital

sweet1122 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 12

I'm a math teacher and one of my co-workers is getting married and everyone urged her to get married on pi-day. I thought they were all FREAKS. You guys are SO funny! I didn't think anyone else thought of that stuff. I might make a cake and bring to work now!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:36am
post #8 of 12

Thanks for the ideas! I think I will make round cookies with the Pi symbol.

Did you know: the one millionth digit of pi is 1

I learned that from a book I picked up today from the library for my husband. The Joy of Pi by David Blatner.

I also bought a kid friendly pi book at the bookstore for my daughter: Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi (this is an awesome math series for kids).

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:16am
post #9 of 12

Ooh, we love Think Geek! My daughter received Think Geek stuff and gift certificates for her birthday last year (she was 6!) and this year will enjoy stuff from there again. My husband has a blanket that says 'blanket' in binary and the binary dad shirt. I see they have a Pi ice cube tray. I might have to order that. (Ooh, I could use that for pi-shaped chocolates too!)

Last year I did my first fondant cake. It had my daughter's name around the edge of the cake in binary. Here it is, it's pretty sad, but it was my first cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1218780
(This year is going to be a Ruff Ruffman birthday party with a science theme.)

Yeah, we're geeks!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:29am
post #10 of 12

Oh, I just found out that March 14th is also Albert Einstein's birthday. Hmm... maybe I'll have to also make some E=MC2 cookies.

kimberlychapman Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:00am
post #11 of 12

Last year a playgroup I was in had a Pie for Pi Day celebration, and I made an apple pie and just used some extra dough to make the letter Pi on top of the pie crust.

My 3-year-old daughter is severely obsessed with Pi. She's going to a birthday party in the morning and that's less important to her than it being Pi day. She's been reciting digits since she was just over 2...she started with 10, then got up to 24, now she does 35 and wants more but since she makes me sing them, I'm drawing the line there!

xstitcher Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:10am
post #12 of 12

I was also going to say go simple and do a round cookie with the Pi symbol on it. I think it will look great!

E = mc2 cookies would be a hoot! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%