How Many Of You Use..

Decorating By sweet_teeth Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 6:03pm by sweet_teeth

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 3

Simple syrup?! I have never used it on my cakes, as I feel they are pretty moist from the get-go.. but think it may add another demension to them icon_smile.gif

So.. that being said.. how many of y'all use simple syrup, and what sugar:water:flavoring ratio do you use?

Thanks guys! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 3

I do. I usually just brush them with a coffee syrup, liquor or I make a simple syrup. Simple syrup is 50% sugar and 50% water. I just heat it on the stove till the sugar dissolves first. Then brush it on when I'm ready.

I make a lot of cakes from scratch so I use simple syrup, but I also use it on my doctored cake mix cakes. The only one I don't use the above mentioned items with is the WASC recipe. For that one I brush with an almond extract.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think Im going to try it (actually.. I'm not quite sure why I never have!?). Im trying to steer away from boxed cakes. I only make white/yellow boxed normally, but I would love to also have scratch versions of those cakes as well, that I am fully confident in.

I had a sheet cake from a bakery last week and it was the moistest cake I've ever eaten. It was delicious, and most definitely not from a box (which my yellow cakes normally are) so I either need to steal their recipe.. or find a yellow cake that is THAT good! lol. Hence why Im thinking about using the simple syrup trick.

Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%