Help With Ri

Decorating By jamiekwebb Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 6:44pm by jamiekwebb

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 9

I need help with my RI. I followed the recipe exactly and it is still to runny. 3T of meringue powder 4 cups sifted PS 5-6T of water. I did this exactly and it is way runny. It's not a biggie... I can manage without it I just want to know what I did wrong. Thanks

8 replies
LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 9

it sounds like too much water or not enough powdered sugar, just add a little more ps till you get the consistancy you want

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 9

How long did you beat it? What kind of bowl and mixer are you using? Are you very, very sure everything was squeaky clean - not a speak of grease anywhere? These are the things that effect RI not beating up thick.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 9

First three things I think of to check with runny RI...

1) Is it humid or rainy outside? RI is very sensetive to moisture in the air
2) Did you use a metal bowl and was it and the beaters grease free? Even a little bit of grease can destroy RI and not let it set up.
3) How long have you mixed it? RI needs at least 10 minutes on high in the mixer.

If it's not humid, your equipment was fine, and been mixed long enough, then like Lettherebecake said, just keep mixing in powdered sugar until it gets to the consitency you want.

HTH

jamiekwebb Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 9

It wasn't humid or rainy, everything was clean metal, I only beat it on low for 10 minutes... that was the recipe said so that's what I did. Could that be it? So probably just moe sugar huh?!

CeeTee Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 9

Ahh, mixing on low was the culprit. You need to mix it on high speed. RI isn't that different from meringue, so you need to treat it the same way.

Which recipe were you using? I've never heard of one saying to mix on low before.

CeeTee Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 9

wait, NVM, I just remembered... Wilton's recipe says to mix on low unless using a hand-mixer. They are off their gourd. RI should always be mixed on high, doesn't matter if it's a stand or a hand held, otherwise you'll be there forever with sugar soup.

Sweet-Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Kakes Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 9

Just wanted to add that my instructor said, when making ri, to wipe EVERYTHING down with white vinegar and a papertowel. The bowl, beaters, spoon, everything. She said just go over it once with a papertowel that has some white vinegar on it, even if your tools just came out of the dishwasher. I guess that is how "sensitive" ri is. Kinda like me when i'm hormonal! icon_lol.gif Good Luck!

jamiekwebb Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the laugh Sweet-Kakes... I know what you mean. I made it again and did it on high and it came out perfect... Thank you all so much. yep, it was Wiltons... why would they say low if they meant high?! Oh well. Thank you all for the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%