Giant Martini Glass-Can I Bake In It?

Decorating By DenaBear07 Updated 13 Aug 2013 , 4:16am by Escamilla07

DenaBear07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DenaBear07 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 10

Hey everyone!! I am looking to make a quick cake for a friend of mine who is turning 21 and I was wondering if I can just bake a cake directly into one of those giant martini or margarita glasses. Would it be too thick to cook through, or would the tapered shape of a martini glass allow for it to bake evenly? Also, do you think a heating core would help? I've seen them in the store, but don't know a lot about them...I assume you just put it in the center and it helps heat the inside of the cake better? Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks, hope everyone is having a great day!

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 10

Unless it says oven safe, I'd pass on the idea. Not all glass is tempered to withstand oven heat for that length of time.

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 10

For my liquor cakes (you can see them in my photos), I always bake cake in shot glasses, and have never had a problem. Aren't martini glasses thinner than shot glasses?

cakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesign Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 10

I would just fill with truffles

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 10

Even if the "bowl" of the glass would make it through, I doubt the stem would........ they are not made for baking in......

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 10

I would bake a round and just drop it inside. I have thought of this myself
but I didn't want to clean it up if it busted in my oven.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

I would bake a round and just drop it inside. I have thought of this myself
but I didn't want to clean it up if it busted in my oven.

good idea ... don't use a flower nail or baking strips, so it domes really high ... then you can drop it in upside down and it should fill the glass almost perfect!

It would make a really cool looking cake! If you do this one, let us know how it turns out.

I'm seeing rum cakes in these glasses for bachelorette parties!

Nia_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nia_77 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 10

Hi, Dina

I made a cake for valentine's day and i wanted to fit a matini glass so what i did was I line the maritini glass with alumunium foil a almost 3 layers making an exact mold of the martini glass, then I use a cupake pan to hold the martini mold. an well the rest i like a normal cake mold when i comes to fill it up. I hope this help you.
Let me know how it turns out.

Escamilla07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Escamilla07 Posted 13 Aug 2013 , 4:15am
post #9 of 10

AI know this is an old thread but yes you can bake in a martini glass. We tried it. Got glasses from good will. Sanitized them used regular cake mix. Baked it at 325 degrees for 20 mins. Melted the frosting a bit to make it soft and put it on top. We put them on a baking sheet just incase. Made 4 at a time.

Escamilla07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%