Book Cakes

Decorating By doublecz1103 Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 8:35am by vcm_9

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:36am
post #1 of 6

does anyone have instructions on how to make a "book" cake.. or any pointers. I've never done one before and i just want to make sure i'm doing everything right. I also plan on using an edible image on it.. on fondant.. would i have to do anything special with that to make it stay??

thanks

5 replies
chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 6

I make book cakes often - I can knock one off (without the decorations or working on the cover) in about 20 minutes.

1 make a rectangular shaped cake (any size) and crumbcoat it.
2. make a long narrow band of white fondant and impress with a lined rolling pin or make long lines with a ruler or knife to show pages and place around 3 sides of the cake.
3. Roll out fondant 1/4 inch thick for the cover and place on that 4th uncovered side and across the top to be the cover and the spine of the book.
4. Use a ruler on the top cov er of the book about 1/2" in to look like crease of the book cover.

5. ROll a long very thin flat piece of fondant, about 1/4' wide to fit around the bottom border of the cake abutting the whit pages to look like the bottom cover of the book.

6. Put a bit of piping gel then add your image, lettering, etc. on the cover and spine, VOILA!
LL
LL

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 6

Another possibility is to make rectangular cake, torte it (get 2 or 3 layers). Set all except 1 layer back with filling in between and on top of this.
Cut the last layer in half for the 2 pages of the book. Mark the middle of your layered cake.
Set one halve of the last layer on your cake (usually right side). On another side - take ladyfingers or similar cookies set them roughly in the middle of the remaining space in 2 lines (one thick line). Smear your filling on top of this. This gives you rounded form. Set the remaining layer on top. You get something like this /\\__
You can make this for both sides: /\\/\\
The rest is as written by chanielisalevy.

Usually, you need to cut your last cake layer thinner because you need it to remain a flexibility.

Good luck!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 6

When I made my book cake I covered the whole thing with white fondant and then i did the impressions of the pages. then I measured and rolled out the color of fondant needed for cover. I put it in the freezer for a couple of minutes before applying to cake, it made it easier to handle. I actually put the bottom of the cover of the book on the finished board and set the book on top and then finished wrapping around. Before I put the cover on I cut a little slit in the white fondant and put the book mark in.

Kempette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kempette Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 6

You could also use an icing bag to draw the image on your pages so it looks like a coloring book then you can color in the image. I found a really great article here

http://easycakes.org/water/water.html icon_biggrin.gif

vcm_9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vcm_9 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 8:35am
post #6 of 6

Not sure if you want an open or closed book??
If its open, I did one for my sons christening and it was pretty easy.

I made a rectangle cake, then froze it. Once frozen, I took it out and carved the midline "v" with a serrated knife. I also tapered the outer edges of the "pages" so that it resembled a real open book. I actually cut too much of the centre "v", so when I went to buttercream the whole thing, I added a little extra in that section to make the cut shallower.

Rolled the fondant out, then placed over the cake, making sure I left enough to sag into the middle of the V without it tearing. smooth it over.

While fondant is still soft, used a blunt butter knife to mark in pages along the edges...curved at the front and back, straight on the sides. Add a bookmark if you want, always looks good though. I then added extra sheets of fondant cut ti size,and rolled the edges (supported with tissue paper rolled up) to resemble pages that are turning.

While soft agai, I added a layer of pearl lustre dust around the pages on the edges.

EDIBLE IMAGE: I added it by using a barely wet paintbrush to brush the fondant on the cake. Wet a paintbrush, then squeeze out the moisture, so it is just a tad damp. Carefully, lay the image on top.

Depends on if you are using rice paper image or frosting sheet...Mine was a frosting sheet.

check out my pics, and you will see it there, I couldnt attach it for some reason

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%