Help With Fondant.

Decorating By Rylan Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 11:41pm by sugarshack

Rylan Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 10:37am
post #1 of 7

I will be using Satin Ice Fondant and I was wondering if I should use:

-powdered sugar

for my table so it wont stick. Someone had suggested to use 50/50 cornstarch/powdered sugar. Do you think that is the best to use in a very dry climate? I live in vegas, and I am scared it might dry my fondant too much. I would also like to avoid the shine. I want a matte or satin finish, NOT glossy or shiny.

What are your suggestions?

6 replies
bettinashoe Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:26am
post #2 of 7

Cornstarch will tend to dry your fondant. I usually coat my table with Crisco and then sprinkle powdered sugar when needed. Make certain you turn your fondant often so it doesn't stick. Roll, turn, roll, turn, etc... Once you start working with it, you'll love the way fondant works with you. If you get a glossy finish, sprinkle it with powdered sugar (lightly) and dust off with a dry brush.

Caths_Cakes Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:40am
post #3 of 7

i normally use a little bit of shortening and icing sugar together, i just eyeball it, if it starts getting dry or stickin, i switch the shortening, never have a problem with shine either

Rylan Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 10:16am
post #4 of 7

Thank you so much for the replies.

miss_sweetstory Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:15am
post #5 of 7

Hi, I use shortening, with the addition of sieved powdered sugar when necessary. Bettinashoe is so right when she says turn, turn, turn.

A lot of people use cornstarch (called cornflour in the uk). If you are considering this, you should be aware that there is some risk. When cornstarch comes in contact with moisture and sugar, fermentation can begin. In some cases this can result in bulging, or a weird fluid seepage. The longer the cake is kept, the bigger the risk of problems. I am not criticizing anyone who uses this method, and I know a lot of people have used cornstarch for years and have never had a problem. But you should know about any risk, in case circumstances work against you.

By the way, I use cornstarch when I'm working on models, or elements that will be on the outside of a cake, as there is no where for the gases produced by fermentation to get trapped...just not when covering a cake.

bettinashoe Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 7

Good info, miss_sweetstory. I wasn't aware of an issue with corn starch other than the one I mentioned (drying out fondant). Thanks!

sugarshack Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 7

to prevent the tearing over the top edge, I roll mine out on a silicone fondant mat, flip onto cake, and peel off the mat. the bottom side of the fondant is now the top and has not dried out al all during the rolling process. smooth it down, it will be shiny for a short while and then retsore to a nice matte finish.

Quote by @%username% on %date%