Anyone Have An Idea What These Brown Things Are?

Decorating By LisaMaeCakes Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 8:31pm by kakeladi

LisaMaeCakes Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:10am
post #1 of 17

I have a bride that wants this cake. The long skinny brown swirly sticks are baffling me. I looked at Michaels and HL, but don't see anything like these. Any ideas anyone?


16 replies
liapsim Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:14am
post #2 of 17

Gonna 'bump' ya....gorgeous cake by the way!

prterrell Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:16am
post #3 of 17

Hmmm. Do you know who did the cake? Maybe you could call/write them and ask?

SeeChicletRun Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:20am
post #4 of 17

It looks like fake "grass" Ive seen it at walmart in the fake flower section. You may have to dye it brown (its usually green)

pinklesley1 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:21am
post #5 of 17

i agree looks like fake grass

michellesArt Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:23am
post #6 of 17

what about that quilting ribbon like for cards and scrapbooking? it could be curled to have that effect? (though maybe it's not that long) just a thought, it really adds a nice element to the cake for sure

LisaMaeCakes Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:23am
post #7 of 17

the bride sent it to me so I have no idea who did the cake. she found it on the web.

I did see some grass like stuff at Michaels and HL, but it was all straight and not curled. I played around with it but it would not hold a curl.

lainalee Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:24am
post #8 of 17

Yep, I've seen it/used it to, but in floral arrangements. Does come in colors if you can find it. I found the brown in the fall

LisaMaeCakes Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:26am
post #9 of 17

Lainalee, where did you get yours?

lainalee Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:26am
post #10 of 17

actually, the flowers on this cake do look silk. maybe you can scout the area vendors.

SeeChicletRun Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:30am
post #11 of 17

I imagine you could curl the grass with a curling iron. The stuff I recall touching was a fabric, not plastic, it might work? Or perhapse back it with some very thin wire so it would hold its curl? That might be a PITB though

jdelaney81 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:57am
post #12 of 17

If it is a fabric, there is a fabric/ribbon stiffener that you can get at the craft store. It is kind of like a glue. You can apply the stiffener and as it dries wrap it around something about the size of the curl you want. My mom used to use the stuff all the time. I hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

2kiddos Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 4:12am
post #13 of 17

Maybe thin floral wire wrapped with the brown floral tape? That would hold the curls really well.

Smallfrye Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 4:15am
post #14 of 17

Have you tried running scissors down it like you do with the curling ribbon? I used to work at Michaels and the florist there did that to the fake grass looking stuff. Also in the dried flower isle they some times have it in bags already curled like that. At least they did at the 2 that I worked at. If you can get some not curled you just start where you want the curl and run your scissors down from there. And it should stay. If not show the florist the picture at Michaels, HL or JoAnns and they should be able ot give you the right stuff. Hope this helps.

NoNameinNM Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:41pm
post #15 of 17

My Mother used to be a florist, so I asked her if she could identify this.

She said: "Several years ago there was a dried stuff called tingting, I still have some. It was more like a very small pliable stem, it was curled when you bought it and it came very curly or just curved. What's on the cake sort of looks like bear grass that has been dried and painted, the color looks too dark to be natural. Probably to get the really curly ends they had to wet and shape and pin what ever that is."

Hope that helps!

LisaMaeCakes Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:57pm
post #16 of 17



kakeladi Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 8:31pm
post #17 of 17

I would get some dk brn floral tape & cover thin gauge wire w/that. You can shape it however you want. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%