My Buttercream Icing Tastes Funny!

Decorating By Mrs_Ingalls Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 3:30am by lainalee

Mrs_Ingalls Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:29am
post #1 of 9

I just started my 1st wilton cake class at Hobby Lobby. It seems like it's going to be a blast! I went ahead and made my buttercream icing according to the directions in my course 1 book. It took so long to mix up! And once I got it mixed it tasted funny! What am I doing wrong?! I used powdered sugar, shortening, water, merigne powder (not sure if the spelling is right? lol), and I think that's it. I may have left something out. I used half vanilla flavoring and half butter flavoring in it. Please help me figure out what's wrong so I can have a yummy cake =) Thanks so much! Happy Baking!

8 replies
Karema Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:59am
post #2 of 9

I dont know. I do know that it happened to me once. I was making a wedding cake and for some reason it smelled a little like coffee or burnt toast or something. I was confused. Thank God it was an orange creamsicle cake and for some reason it worked. I still dont know what I did wrong. Maybe someone else can help.

patticakesnc Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:04am
post #3 of 9

Did you use shortening form a can? I have found that a lot Crisco in the can will have a metallic taste to it sometimes. I ALWAYS use sticks.

I have never used butter flavor in mine as well. So I don't know how that tastes.

icer101 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:10am
post #4 of 9

a little salt is in the recipe also.. did you use a little salt.. it takes away some of the sweeness.

bethola Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:12am
post #5 of 9

If either the shortening OR the butter flavoring was old that would make it taste funny. I have had butter flavoring "go bad" on me for some reason. Did you perhaps make a mistake in measuring the meringue powder? It has a "twang" to it, so maybe that? Then again, might just be a "fluke".

Beth in KY

liapsim Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:13am
post #6 of 9

I use....2 cups veggie shortening, pinch of salt, 1 tbsp vanilla, 2lb bag of pwder sugar, and 6 oz of heavy cream......

tastes great every time!

mw902 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:18am
post #7 of 9

Are you used to the meringue powder? I have not tried the recipe with it in it but I know when I use it in my royal I can sure taste it.

cakeladyofga Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:22am
post #8 of 9

What kind of vanilla extract did you use? If you used regular imitation vanilla flavoring, that was your mistake. I made some icing last weekend(i ran out of my clear vanilla extract), so I used the imitation stuff. That was a big mistake! It tasted like tree bark!! Never again will I use that stuff in my icing! Also, if you were making wiltons snow-white icing you should have added some salt and almond extract. If you didn't, that also would have changed the flavor.

lainalee Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:30am
post #9 of 9

somethimes that butter flavor will be a funny taste. depends on the quality of the brand i guess. i usually only use a little of that and the majority of the main flavor i'm using.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%