Using Fondant Decorations On A Buttercream Cake

Decorating By Shannon1129 Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 3:34pm by Shannon1129

Shannon1129 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 12:19am
post #1 of 6

I was wondering how this would work. I've never covered a cake in only buttercream before. All the cakes I've done are fondant. However, I am wanting to use fondant decorations on this cake. I want to put little balls around the base of each tier (3 tiers) and I've made a fondant nurse who is going to stand on the top. I am thinking of cutting out a little round circle for her to stand on. Anyhow, any help or input would be appreciated!

Thanks much!

5 replies
springlakecake Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 12:33am
post #2 of 6

Fondant works great on buttercream cakes. My advice is to chill the cakes well before adding certain types of decorations (like stripes) I think you will do fine!

cindy6250 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 12:34am
post #3 of 6

Hi Shannon,

You can certainly put fondant decorations on a buttercream cake. I think the idea of the circle
on top for the figure to stand on is a good idea.

Welcome to Cake Central!

Cindy

poohsmomma Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 12:48am
post #4 of 6

Fondant decorations work will on buttercream. And personally I think buttercream tastes much better!

classiccake Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:52am
post #5 of 6

I would put a couple of skewers, wires, toothpicks, something, in your fondant nurse to attach it to the cake.

Shannon1129 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for all the advice! I am so nervous about this cake. Phew! Naked buttercream scares me to death. icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%