Found Wilton Fondant In Uk!

Decorating By brincess_b Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 9:02am by brincess_b

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 9

im just posting cause i somehow found wilton fondant in the uk (on amazon) - i know it tastes awful, but part of me does want to try it just for the comparison. the sensible part of me knows it would be a huge waste of £9!!!!! (almost $13 - i guess thats not the price over there, it must be imported, so more epensive for us? our supermarket fondant is about a third or quarter of the price).
xx

8 replies
eilidh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilidh Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 9

That is expensive! mind you how much do you get for that? I live in the south west now (though am from Glasgow) and we have a great shop near us that sells loads of fondant ready made in loads of colours and for pretty reasonable prices, but saying that sometimes I easily come away having spent £10 - £15 on fondant! Am off there tomorrow, my bank card is quivering! Let me know if you do try the Wilton one!

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 9

you could also check under other names. I know that Wilton in Italy is sold under the name Decora. Same stuff, just different packaging...

brincess_b Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 9

that was for 500g. im pretty sure tescos is about £1.50 for the same.
so far i have got away with colouring my own fondant, but the cake shop locally sells the coloured stuff for not too much.
xx

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 9

well i really wouldn't waist any money on wiltons fondant. Its okay to practice with and okay if you add tylose to it and use as a gum paste but to flat out use it on a cake to eat, NOT worth it even if they are giving it away.

JMHO

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:30am
post #6 of 9

i wouldn't bother. You can get 1kg of regal ice at Tescos for £2.20. I don't bother with Tescos own make as I find it tears easily but at Asda you can buy 500g of their own make for £1.15 or again 1kg for £2.20

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:45am
post #7 of 9

Don't bother wasting your money on the Wilton stuff. Sounds like you all have local stuff that will do just fine. There is nothing special about the Wilton stuff at ALL!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:09am
post #8 of 9

I need a European source for Wilton fondant.

No other RF available here is kosher parve, and I sometimes need Wilton for kosher cakes. (Satin Ice isn't available here) That stuff in Italy called Decora... is there a hechsher on the label?

brincess_b Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:02am
post #9 of 9

i cant say ive noticed the difference between regal ice and tescos, but i do know i prefer the taste of tescos! but if regal ice is better to work with, i might stick with that for the bigger projects.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%