Are These Pans Still Safe To Use???

Decorating By kellertur Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 5:02pm by RebekahR

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 7

I recently received several Wilton Pans from a friend that used to decorate back in the 1990's. She hasn't used them since, and they look good, but I'm wondering if Aluminum breaks down over time (coatings?) and if they are still safe to use. I'd hate to make a customer (or my family) sick. icon_sad.gif

I'd love to use them, but can anyone tell me if they are safe?

Thank you.

6 replies
Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 7

yes they are safe. People use pans for years and pass them down to generations. I know a bakery that has pans that are like 25 years old. they are fine..

msladybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msladybug Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 7

My mom has some aluminum (not wilton) pans she got for a wedding present 33 years ago. They are the best pans for baking cakes.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 7

I've been using my Wilton pans for over 20 years and they're just fine. Just wash them in hot sudsy water (to disinfect) and bake away.

RebekahR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebekahR Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 7

My grandmother gave me her very first sheet cake pan (it's a Wilton) that is 25 years old. I use it and the cakes are perfectly fine!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:25am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I feel a lot better now. icon_smile.gif

It was like hitting the jackpot!! She gave me one set that had 3 sized pans (with pillars) 5", 6" and 8". I didn't even know they made a 5" pan... very cool. What an adorable little tiered cake that's going to be!!! I have a 4" pan but it has that cavity to fill, not always convenient.
She gave me 11 pans total... I still can't believe it. icon_eek.gif

RebekahR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebekahR Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 7

Wow! That is like hitting a jackpot! How lucky you are!! Especially now that you know they're ok to use icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%