Glue Between Fondant And Cake

Decorating By thesweetsouth Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 6:50am by gerripje

thesweetsouth Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,
I have a client who want a cake covered with fondant but does not want buttercream on the cake at all. What can I use for glue between the fondant and the cake instead of buttercream?

7 replies
Ballymena Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 8

Piping gel works but a seedless smooth jam will add nice flavor. If the jam has fruit pieces in it blend it for a few seconds so it's smooth.

brincess_b Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 8

when i use jam (usually on a fruit cake, not done it on sponge) i usually stick mine in the microwave for a tiny bit to get smoother and runnier so its easier to put on. plus then she gets a choice of flavours.
you can use ganache as well i think.
xx

thesweetsouth Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks, she did ask for raspberry sauce, do you think that would work?

allie73 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 8

I would use jam, rather than raspberry sauce. I think the sauce might be too liquidy and make your cake too soft.

marccrand Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 8

Would the pink jam show through the fondant? I don't know, just posing the question.

thesweetsouth Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 8

the fondant will be brown so I dont think it will show through. Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it!

gerripje Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:50am
post #8 of 8

If you make a big mistake (like I often do), would you have to use all new fondant or could you scrape the jam off of it? Hmmm, I guess it wouldn't matter if you were just repositioning on the same cake, but when I make a mistake, it's usually an all out have to take everything off and start over!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%