Whaaaaaaaa! I'm Delusional! (Long Vent)

Decorating By cakes22 Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 1:29pm by koolaidstains

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 6

Okay, so I am the first to admit that I am not a pro. I have taken a few courses, nothing to extensive. I have made some really nice cakes, I have common sense (at least I think I do), I am limited in my disasters, and I really, really , really love cake decorating. icon_cry.gif I am sitting here cause I had to walk away from a cake that is due tonight at 7:30pm (it's 1:20pm now). The cake itself is a simple 1/2 sheet cake (chocolate & vanilla) not layered, covered in white buttercream (that is grainy, see other post) with blue trim. It is supposed to have a corporate logo on it & I can't for the life of me get the F*&*ing printing right. I have scraped off the writing soooooooooo many times now, I think I have botched the cake. I have done pin-prick (didn't work very well), FBCT (horrible when working with printing, either that or I am doing something wrong, which wouldn't surprise me), tried a fondant plaque (fondant cracked) icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
So what are my options??? I don't have time to rebake. Could I refrost just the top part (to cover up the mess that I made), should I just call and tell her that I can't do it (it's for Friday) and loose any referrals that my come out of it? Sob icon_cry.gif Do I just keep trying? I'm not a quitter but right now, quitting is looking pretty good (so does a glass of wine)
I am getting a migraine......I'm running out of time....I feel horrible......and trust me I am not looking for sympathy. I just needed to vent, cause 1) hubby doesn't get it 2) none of my friends are into cake deco. & I have no one to chat to 3) I am feeling mighty low icon_cry.gif

I'm a sad, sorry little cake baker.........

icon_sad.gif

5 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 6

Yes scrap some of the icing off the top and reice it. I wouldn't just put another full layer over the top of the cake or you are going to end up with too much icing there.

For the printing, do you use a crusting icing? if you do, lay a piece of paper towel (viva, do want any extra marks) then place the logo on top and trace over the printing. you should end up with a faint impression to follow.

Then take icing the same as the background color and do your printing, keep going until you have what you want. Then take the color icing and over pipe it. Using the same icing as you have iced with to do your first piping will allow you to scrape off without have major issues.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 6

is it too late to get some gumpaste? i cant figure the time difference for ur deadline, but it could be relatively dry in a couple of hours.
can you run to walmart or somewhere and see if they can do an edible image?
maybe if you cant figure it out to contact the customer, ask if you can do an alternative idea using key elements of the company of something?
i send you hugs - i had a cake freak out last night, and even though its awful, soon it will be behind you!
xx

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 6

Gumpaste "light box" method....works like a charm for me. PM m if you wanna know more. You'll have time!

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 6

Hi again,

Thanks for the words of advice & comfort thumbs_up.gif .

I ended up scraping off the entire cake (I wasn't happy with that crappy icing anyway). I made another batch of icing, which turned out really nice (I mix it for 15 mins, light & fluffy). Re-iced cake, enlarged the logo, it wasn't exact but it was close. I missed my 7:30 deadline, but had called the client & she had no problems with a later delivery. When I brought the cake to her, she was very happy and thought it was great icon_rolleyes.gif , I told her that I would give her a lower price because 1) I was late delivering 2) the logo wasn't exact. $20.00 off, no biggy, covered my cost and a little bit in the pocket isn't too bad.

Funny though, when I got back home, I had 3 cake orders requests and a cupcake order for a June wedding. Just when I was going to throw in the towel icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I'm a happy, little baker again (until the next time......)

Thanks again everyone. You guys are great!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 6

It sounds like you did the right thing. $20 off seems a bit high, but it's that great customer service that will earn you that $20 back with future orders and referalls. I'm glad this experience didn't squash your love of baking and decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%