Is Wedding Cake Layers.... 3? Or 4? Sps

Decorating By SaraClassic Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 12:29am by SaraClassic

SaraClassic Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 17

Im using SPS for my stacking, and just not sure if I can do 3 layers thicker or if I have to do 4 layers ? Do you all do 4 layers of cake ( 3 filling) to your wedding cakes? Is there a measurementof cake to filling to get your 4 in height, or is it an eyeball thing for each layer to get to the 4 in?
THANKS !!

16 replies
SaraClassic Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 17

icon_cry.gif

SaraClassic Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 17

OK so I baked 2 6-8-10-&12s... all came out like just under 2 in, I can level them to 1 in but them I have to bake another of each to make all 3 cakes the same thickness. WTH ! So did I not fill the pans up enough ? ( I have 3 in pans ) I should get at least a 2 1/2 in cake and level to 2 in right? Does this make sense? UGH! !! icon_sad.gif

Shelly4481 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 17

Around here we just do 4 in cakes, two layers of 2". Then just fill inbetween the two cakes. You could torte both layers then you would have 3 layers of filling. HTH

niccicola Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 17

i ask my bride what she wants. if she wants 4" tall cakes, then I bake 2 each of 3" deep cake pans, because once i level the tops, I end up with 2" tall cakes, so together they make 4" tall tiers. Then, I just put a filling in between the 2 cakes, unless they specifically ask for more filings.

If you are using 3" deep pans, you should fill them 2/3 of the way up and it should rise enough to fill the entire pan and give you a 3" tall cake before leveling. Sounds like you aren't filling them all the way.

Hope this helps!

kakeladi Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 17

Most of us use 2" deep pans and bake 2 of each size which are put together with filling to make one tier.
You can torte (split ) and fill each of those 2" layers for 3 layers of filling and 4 of cake per tier or you can used just one layer of filling between the 2 layers of cake per tier - it's up to you which you want to do.

SaraClassic Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks! I just thought everyone did more than one layer of filling for wedding cakes so I was tryign to get 3 layers in and I think I was afraifd of overfilling the pans and at half way it didnt give me anough to get 2, 1 in. layers.
Do most of you only do one layer of filling and 2 1in cakes for weddings?

niccicola Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 17

Again, it depends on what the bride wants.

If she chooses one filling, then only one filling goes in

If she chooses two, then two goes in and I alternate the layers of fillings.

If it is completely left up to me, I'm doing the minimum, which would be one filling between 2 layers of cake.

SaraClassic Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Most of us use 2" deep pans and bake 2 of each size which are put together with filling to make one tier.
You can torte (split ) and fill each of those 2" layers for 3 layers of filling and 4 of cake per tier or you can used just one layer of filling between the 2 layers of cake per tier - it's up to you which you want to do.

Well I did the 2 of each in 3 in pans, and was going for 4 cake 3 filling, but since they came out shorter ( my failure to fill pans enough ) I am noy wasting all the extra and cutting down 3 cakes, so i think I will just do 2, 2in layers and 1 buttercream filling. As long as I make it to 4, thats my goal for myself.
Thansk for all the help!

SaraClassic Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 11:32pm
post #10 of 17

so additional question... if you end up with cakes over 4 in high and want to use the SPS what do you do? If you only have 4 in legs ( pillars)? can you trim fro the bottom some how or can you place woden dowels in sede the 4 in tiers for the extra 1/2 in or whatever for that support? Hmmmm

Skirt Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 11:41pm
post #11 of 17

just out of curiosity, if you have 2 2" cakes and then you torte and ice, would the end result not be greater than 4"?

shanasweets Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 11:46pm
post #12 of 17

I have been reading Confetti Cakes by Elisa Strauss, she uses (3) 1 in layers of cake and (2) 1/2 in layers of filling. So that her layers = 4 in in height. I tried this the last cake I made it and it worked great. I have always baked cakes in my wilton pans (which say 2 in but really when I measured came up to a little over 1 1/2 if leveled with top of pan. ) torted and then filled with 3 layers of filling. I really like this way better. Only have to fill my pan 1/2 full and still get 1 in level layers. I do happen to have 3 round 6, 8, 10 pans so that is helpful.

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 11:49pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly4481

Around here we just do 4 in cakes, two layers of 2". Then just fill inbetween the two cakes. You could torte both layers then you would have 3 layers of filling. HTH

Ditto. Mine usually come out of the pan slightly under 2", so with the filling and the icing, I am at 4", maybe a bit higher.

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 11:50pm
post #14 of 17

Go to the How To Forum, look for the "sticky" by Leahs on SPS, it addresses everything about them, and PM her if you need, she's very helpful!!!

SaraClassic Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 12:20am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirt

just out of curiosity, if you have 2 2" cakes and then you torte and ice, would the end result not be greater than 4"?

yeah, I said 2 in but I mean 1 3/4 - ish, i just was est. for figuring . but thats what made me ask that additional question

SaraClassic Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 12:23am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sltoklahoma

I have been reading Confetti Cakes by Elisa Strauss, she uses (3) 1 in layers of cake and (2) 1/2 in layers of filling. So that her layers = 4 in in height. I tried this the last cake I made it and it worked great. I have always baked cakes in my wilton pans (which say 2 in but really when I measured came up to a little over 1 1/2 if leveled with top of pan. ) torted and then filled with 3 layers of filling. I really like this way better. Only have to fill my pan 1/2 full and still get 1 in level layers. I do happen to have 3 round 6, 8, 10 pans so that is helpful.

I went to the same book this a.m. before I got any answers back, thats why I thought 3 - 4 layers was norm for wedding cakes. Im just doing 2 because I didnt fill well enough but will go for 3 next round.

SaraClassic Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 12:29am
post #17 of 17

thanks you guys, I may make it through this cake icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%