Chocolate Transfers

Decorating By amclean24 Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 11:09pm by majka_ze

amclean24 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 19

Can anybody tell me step by step how to do chocolate transfers? Do you just outline your picture with melted candy and fill in the rest with melted candy? I've done the Frozen Buttercream method but that seems so time consuming and somehow I always seem to mess something up when I go to flip it on the cake. Last year I did a Cinderella and her eyes got all messed up and I had to hand do them. Which one is easier?

Thanks!

Amy

18 replies
kakeladi Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 19

I've only once did this so I really can't help you much.
Just giving this post a 'bump' so maybe someone who knows exactly what they are doing can help you.
What I did that one time is about what you describe. I wasn't totally happy w/the results icon_smile.gif

bashini Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 19
giraffe11 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:52am
post #5 of 19

I learned from Whimsical Bakehouse books....and they also have a good tutorial on their site. I have never done a FBT, but the chocolate seems like it would be a lot easier, if only because you don't have to go in and out of the freezer and worry about how fast the buttercream thaws. You can take your time.

My first attempt at chocolate transfers is here:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1243523

And my second attempt is here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1272770

They aren't perfect.....but if I can do that on my first and second tries, imagine what someone could do if they were really good at it! icon_smile.gif Check out the tutorials and have some fun!

MemphisMom9801 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:55am
post #6 of 19

These are both great! Thanks bashini and Tracey1970! thumbs_up.gif

MemphisMom9801 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:58am
post #7 of 19

giraffe11... I'd say those look very good for first attempts! icon_smile.gif

Do you just use the little chocolate disks like Wilton sells? I know some of these are already colored. For all other colors, do you just use vanilla (white) and tint to desired color?

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:05am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe11

I learned from Whimsical Bakehouse books....and they also have a good tutorial on their site. I have never done a FBT, but the chocolate seems like it would be a lot easier, if only because you don't have to go in and out of the freezer and worry about how fast the buttercream thaws. You can take your time.

My first attempt at chocolate transfers is here:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1243523

And my second attempt is here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1272770

They aren't perfect.....but if I can do that on my first and second tries, imagine what someone could do if they were really good at it! icon_smile.gif Check out the tutorials and have some fun!

The Whimsical Bakehouse has a website?? Do you know what the address is?

giraffe11 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:11am
post #9 of 19

Yes, I just used the chocolate discs. I did use some of the pre-colored ones, when available, but mostly I tinted my own colors. You just have to remember to make sure you use candy colors, instead of your usual icing colors. Candy colors are oil-based, instead of water-based. The water-based colors will make your chocolate sieze up.
My son loves these transfers now and thinks all decorated cakes have 'cake cookies' on them. icon_biggrin.gif

giraffe11 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:13am
post #10 of 19

Wonderbuns...... just go to whimsicalbakehouse.com. It's a fun site. Not as many great photos as their books......but still fun.
Oh, and they have some great downloadable templates too.

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:27am
post #11 of 19

Thanks! What a great site!! thumbs_up.gif

sgirvan Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 4:18am
post #12 of 19

I have a question about doing the Choc transfers - how do you keep the tips from plugging up with the hardening chocolate? or do you use a tip at all
Plus how do you keep you chocolate warm?

giraffe11 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:12pm
post #13 of 19

I do not use a tips at all. Just a bag with a tiny whole cut into it. I have tried both ways, and just find that to be the easiest. Since I learned from the Whimsical Bakehouse books and that's what they do...... I suppose that could have helped decide my preference.
The first cake I did, I just used the bags until the chocolate got too cold and then tossed them back into the microwave for a couple of seconds to re-warm. The second time, I laid them all out on a heating pad turned onto warm.
Both ways work fine.
I actually prefer the re-microwaving though, b/c it wasn't very time consuming and containing the mess was easier for me.

amclean24 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:28pm
post #14 of 19

Thank you guys for sending me your quick help on the Chocolate transfers. Giraffe11 - Yours look really good! I have a couple of weeks to decide whether I want to do the chocolate transfer or FBCT. This year I am making my daughter a smaller cake with just Snow White face/part of her body. Hopefully it will turn out ok.

sgirvan Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:25am
post #15 of 19

I have the colors for candy but I was wondering if you could use the Americolor gels as they are not a liquid and there is so much more color variations???

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 9:03pm
post #16 of 19

Gel colors are not made for coloring chocolate -- they have water listed as their primary ingredient and will cause chocolate to seize up. Use candy colors which have oil listed as their primary ingredient and you should be just fine. If all you have is gel color though, use flo-coat and that will help prevent seizing.

amclean24 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 10:30pm
post #17 of 19

Ok I have one more question. How far in advance can you make Chocolate transfers?

keyshia Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 10:42pm
post #18 of 19

Haha...learned the hard way last night not to use americolor gels! I found a site that said you could use wilton...NOPE, both seized up. I didn't have any candy colors at the craft store by me and was in a pinch...I did learn that if you add a little shortening it will help with the seizing and I was able to do my cake as planned! icon_smile.gif

Keyshia

PS, last night I did mine let it set in the freezer for like 10 min and then on the counter til I needed it an hour later....I woudl think it would get gross and yucky if you did it too far in advance, but I'm new to the choc. transfer and could be wrong! icon_wink.gif

majka_ze Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 11:09pm
post #19 of 19

Chocolate transfer doesn't spoil. Let it on the parchment paper or bag (don't peal it off). Cover the back side. Wrap it carefully but tightly, store in cool, dry place. Not in fridge.

Sometimes chocolate "blooms". If this happens, it will be only on the reverse side (not glued to the parchment paper). It doesn't mean the chocolate went bad - it is either fat bloom /the cause is temperature/ or sugar bloom /the cause is humidity and too cool storage - fridge/.
Fat bloom can be wiped off - the fat melts as you touch it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%