Q & U Wedding

Decorating By TSG177 Updated 7 May 2009 , 10:17am by clovely

TSG177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSG177 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 56

Hi! My daughter's kindergarden class is having a Q & U Wedding and I was asked to make the wedding cake for the adults (50) cupcakes for the kids. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas. I looked on here to see if there were any Q & U cakes but could not find any. Has anyone seen one. Thanks so much!

Sandy

55 replies
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 56

What on earth is a Q & U wedding??? And getting married in KINDERGARTEN????? OMG!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 56

I saw one on here long ago. I've tried to find it since but had no luck. It seems like it was a simple stacked cake with mickey and minnie figures on top.

You could do one with a Q and U monogram topper and words on the sides that start with "qu".

Some of the cakes on here have the wedding vows piped on. You could use those as examples.

Just a thought.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 56

boy, it seems I remember another thread on this very topic quite some time ago. I had no idea what they were talking about when I popped into the thread and found it to be a really cute idea.

Giving you a bump ... maybe someone else remembers this other thread? (I tried to search but it's hard to search for "Q" as a topic! icon_lol.gif )

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 56

goggle Q and U Wedding and you will find several sites about it, kind of a cute idea. I would want to know more about it, if my child was involved. I am a firm believer in activities that are age appropriate and I am not sure a kindergarten wedding is, even if it is for Q and U

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 56

LOL, a "Q & U" Wedding is usually a special celebration in Kindergaten classes, during their reading/spelling lessons. It's based on the fact that the letters Q and U are always together! (Quack... Quick...Quit...etc). Its just a fun way for the kids to remember that where there is a Q, there is U... they are in sense "Married".

For ideas, you could pipe various QU words on the sides....

TSG177 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 56

Thank you for all the ideas. This is the first time I am experiencing this Q & U Wedding. My oldest never had one. I was excited to make the cake and now I am drawing a blank. I will try to sketch it out before I make it. I was thinking for 50 adults a 8, 7 & 6 size cake would be enough. Maybe I should talk to they teacher and see if she has any suggestions. I know they usually just purchase a 1/2 sheet cake from the Price Club so I am pretty sure anything I come up with will be nicer then that. If any one else has any more suggestions or pictures I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Sandy

mommyle Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 56

OHHHHHH!!!! Ok! got it! cute idea! I really like the wedding cake idea with either a gumpaste or meringue "topper" that is a QU, and write "qu" words all over the sides of it. What happens, though, when they get a divorce??? Do they share custody of "R" "S" and "T"? Alternate weeks and weekends?

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:36pm
post #9 of 56

Interesting, nevare heard of that before, but quite cute. Very funny mommyle

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 12:10am
post #10 of 56

I wish I could do a cake for my son who's also in Kindergarten. Here, you are NOT allowed to bring in ANY homemade bake goods. Nothing. It has to be store-bought. Same for his after-school care. Darnit...I could make such cute little cakes.... icon_cry.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 12:52am
post #11 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzted7

I wish I could do a cake for my son who's also in Kindergarten. Here, you are NOT allowed to bring in ANY homemade bake goods. Nothing. It has to be store-bought. Same for his after-school care. Darnit...I could make such cute little cakes.... icon_cry.gif

Are you licensed? My HD guy told me that as long as I was legal and include an ingredients label that I could contribute to the schools and daycares. You may want to check a little further. Just a thought.

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:46am
post #12 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzted7

Are you licensed? My HD guy told me that as long as I was legal and include an ingredients label that I could contribute to the schools and daycares. You may want to check a little further. Just a thought.

It has nothing to do with legal or not unfortunately. It can only be store-bought, no exceptions. I already checked. Thanks though!!! icon_smile.gif

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:58am
post #13 of 56

That's too bad you can't donate baked goods. My daycare has the same instruction in their handbook....about only 'storebought' goods, but when you ask the director, she says as long as its completely nut-free, they will still allow it. The put the statement in there so that people will have to ask first. I'm sorry you can't bake! That's no fun.
I can't be too much help with the Q & U wedding cakes, other than I think it's a cute idea. We haven't made it to kindergarten yet!
Heather

cjshoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjshoemake Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:01am
post #14 of 56

I have been commissioned for the past 3 years to make a Q & U wedding cake for the same school. It is a private school so they have lots of money to spend on a cakeicon_smile.gif The first year I made a sheet cake but the past 2 years it was a 3 tiered cake with silk flowers and Q&U on top. It looked just like a real wedding cake.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:11am
post #15 of 56

I did a cake for my son's class when he was in pre-K. I just did a simple 2 tier wedding cake just white with some swiss dots and a pretty border with a blue fondant Q and and a pink U on top.

I also used tinsel garland to make a circle and tied ribbon hanging down the back for the little girls to wear on their head and made ties for the boys out of black felt.

The kids were the 'attendants' for the wedding. We made up a song to the wedding march tune (here comes the bride). I can't remember how it went but it was something like 'here comes Mr. Q , here comes Miss U, now they're getting married and will always be together'.

The kids had a great time.

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:13am
post #16 of 56

My mother-in-law was just telling me this past weekend that she wished I lived closer so I could make a cake for her class for this same reason! I wish I lived closer too--I would have loved to have done it!

I like the idea of a tiered cake with the letters on top. I think it could be fun to make a really quirky wedding cake (since it is for little kids).

I googled it and here's some links:

http://www.tangischools.org/schools/pelc/cook/q%20&%20u%20wedding.htm

http://customcakesbydawn.com/sitebuilder/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=167

Good luck and have fun!!!

TSG177 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:15am
post #17 of 56

Thank you for all the ideas. I think I will do a tiered cake. What do you think for 50 adults. The kids are getting wedding cupcakes. I will make the Q & U out of Gumpaste. Also, how do you know which is the girl Q or U?

TSG177 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:17am
post #18 of 56

Thank you kilikina_24 for the sites. I guess it is a big thing for some schools. Those cakes are really nice. I guess I will try to go all out and see what I can come up with. Thanks again!

kilikina_24 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:19am
post #19 of 56

I guess I'm leaning towards the Q being the girl....the Queen!

But than again that's not how it was with the Letter People! Anybody remember them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Letter_People

http://lw025.k12.sd.us/Meet%20the%20Letter%20People.htm

I guess they're still around although they changed them over the years.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:35am
post #20 of 56

My son's school had the blowup letter people and it was Mr. Q and Miss U. The kids made sure I got it right!

C

jkhilgeman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jkhilgeman Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:14am
post #21 of 56

Hello,

This is my first post - I love this site icon_biggrin.gif. My 5 year old had the same "wedding" last week. My daughter was the "mother of the bride". Of course she had been ill so we did not know about it until the night before. I make all my cakes in rolled fondant, I work very little with bc. What I did do was a 3" - 6, 8 and 10. This single layer was much easier to cut and fit the "smaller" size guests. I did just a simple frilly wedding design - with hot pink candy roses. I then did a 4 inch hot pink Q and U as the topper and hit it with luster dust.
Just a reminder get a picture of the whole class around the cake - they will want to see it in 12 years at graduation.

TSG177 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:02pm
post #22 of 56

Thank you again for your input. I just want it to be perfect. Thank you jkhilgeman for the tips that you used on your cake. The wedding is March 31st. Was your cake just for the adults or the kids too. I am making cupcakes for the kids and the cake will actually be for the adults. They are telling me about 50 adults. I think your cake might be too big. What do you think? I am also going to write to the teacher to find out who is the girl Q or U. Who knew it could be so confusing!

Sandy

mommyle Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:42pm
post #23 of 56

Well, it IS the year 2009. They could both be girls. Or Boys. Or non-descript. Is this a Greek Orthodox wedding? Is it a Baptist wedding. Southern Black Baptist would be fun! (I don't mean to offend anyone with the last one, but I'm thinking of all the movies that have the churches in the deep parts of the south with the predominantly black congregation, and all the singing and dancing in the isles and it seems like fun!) Or perhaps it's a Jewish wedding, and all the kids can step on their paper cups at the end of it!

TSG177 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:20pm
post #24 of 56

I just heard back from the teacher and Q is the boy and U is the girl. She said I could do anything I want to the cake to make it look nice. So I was thinking of a tiered cake not sure what sizes yet and gumpaste daisies coming down the front and on top. Maybe with pink and blue centers and I will make the Q & U to match them for the topper. I will post the cake when I am done. Thank you all for your suggestions. I am still open to more if anyone can think of anything else.

Thanks again!

Sandy

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:44pm
post #25 of 56

How about a small tiered wedding cake with the Blue Q and the Pink U and then also some cupcakes that finish a word, like iz, een, and so on to see what words they can make with their cupcake.

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:51pm
post #26 of 56

My son is in Kinderdergarten and I have never heard of the Q and U wedding, but I wish they would have on just so I could make a cake for his class icon_sad.gif . I have two older children and at the previous school we attended I got to volunteer in their classrooms atleast once a week when they where in kindergarten and was allowed to attend all fieldtrips and parties. Since we've moved to a new school I have only been allowed to volunteer in my youngest sons Kindergarten class 3 times, have not been called for any parties, and they only allow two parents per field trip, but they haven't even taken one this year! I have tons of pictures and scrapbook pages of my older childrens kindergarten years, but none of my younger sons. I think he is going to look back and wonder where in the world I was when he was little icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif !!! I am feeling a little left out! What happened to wanting parents to be involved???

Lexianne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lexianne Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 8:16pm
post #27 of 56

Oh man...We had a "Q and U" wedding when I was in kindergarten. This thread brings back memories. Lol! (though, I'm only 22 so it wasn't all that long ago...lol!) I remember being upset that I didn't get picked to be "Ms. Q." We had a tierd cake if I remember correctly. Don't remember what it looks like. This was kind of our graduation ceremony of sorts. I went to a private Christian school and we each got "Grown up" Bibles with our names in them. I still have mine.

I like the idea that someone mentioned of doing words piped on the side that begin with Qu (stick with simple words the little ones will understand) and make a "Q and U" topper with fondant. May be make little letter toppers for the kid's cupcakes. icon_biggrin.gif

kilikina_24 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:15am
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonia3604

My son is in Kinderdergarten and I have never heard of the Q and U wedding, but I wish they would have on just so I could make a cake for his class icon_sad.gif . I have two older children and at the previous school we attended I got to volunteer in their classrooms atleast once a week when they where in kindergarten and was allowed to attend all fieldtrips and parties. Since we've moved to a new school I have only been allowed to volunteer in my youngest sons Kindergarten class 3 times, have not been called for any parties, and they only allow two parents per field trip, but they haven't even taken one this year! I have tons of pictures and scrapbook pages of my older childrens kindergarten years, but none of my younger sons. I think he is going to look back and wonder where in the world I was when he was little icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif !!! I am feeling a little left out! What happened to wanting parents to be involved???

That is so strange!! I thought most schools wanted parents involved!! My oldest is the only one in school right now and I want to be there more often but usually don't have anyone to watch the younger two icon_sad.gif
I know once they're all in school I plan on being up there as much as possible. My son's school basically wants the parents there as much as they're willing. There are some parents helping out so much I think they're there as much as the teachers!

jkhilgeman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jkhilgeman Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:41am
post #29 of 56

The 6, 8, and 10 was a lot of cake - however, the class had so many "extra" guests, that the cake went pretty fast. Teachers from other classes had stopped by to congratulate the children. Since the cake was homemade, even the children put down store bought cupcakes and had a piece of cake. I did not use any filling, just a plain chocolate cake. I thought I was going to take some home. Not a crumb! The girl was the U and the boy the Q in our class. Since this is a fun event, I did not make my cake perfect. I have made prefect cakes before and the staff did not want to cut them. I did not use any markers, and free handed it in about 10 minutes.

You might want to try your school colors for the cake and cupcakes. Put QU on some and then the mascot on others.

I also provided a "wedding knife" for the teacher to cut the cake, plates, forks and napkins. This really helped out as no one remembered these items.

I attach a picture of my cake.
LL

mommyle Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:04pm
post #30 of 56

Adorable! Thanks for sharing!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%