Do You Bc Under Fondant?

Decorating By MamaMayhem Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 6:19pm by Ruth0209

MamaMayhem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMayhem Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 6

I tried my hand at fondant last weekend, it went surprisingly well. I put a thick layer of BC under the fondant because I read that many people peel off the fondant because it's too sweet. I made homemade MMF, I thought it was yummy. I've since watched some fondant tutorials and a lot of the cakes have only a crumb coat of icing. Is either way acceptable? What do you do?

5 replies
chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 6

I'm no expert but I do a crump coat and then a thin coat of BC. I dont like it to be real thick because it seems to run out the bottom and can get messy.

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 6

I usually do a crumb coat, plus one more THIN layer of buttercream under fondant, just to make sure all the bumps are out, then I chill it well. If there are imperfections, they will show up once you put your fondant on, so make sure to smooth out that frosting! icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 6

Pretty much not more than a crumb coat, although I have recently started to use spackle paste as the crumb coat and then a very thin swipe of bc over that.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 6

yep, super thin crumbcoat of buttercream, too much will make fondant bulge, bump and look uneven.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 6

I put a coat under my fondant so people have icing to eat if they don't like the fondant. It can help smooth out imperfections in the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%