Coffee Mug Cake, How Do I Do The Handle

Decorating By Chrissy215 Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 4:31pm by Chrissy215

Chrissy215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrissy215 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 4

New here, asking for advice please? icon_biggrin.gif

Hi there all. First let me say that Ive been enjoying seeing everyones creations here on this site and I am amazed at the talent! I dabble in specialty cakes, mostly for friends and family. I have a cake request for a very special co-workers birthday coming up. Hes a HUGE fan of the TV Show The Office

Id like to do a cake in the shape of a coffee mug, with Boss of the Year on it.

I can stencil the letters onto the fondant in black food coloring, so I think I pretty much have that figured out in my mind its the handle of the mug that Im wondering about. What do you think is the best method for creating a handle on a coffee mug cake?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions/ideas!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 4

Stencil is good--consider using black edible ink markers.

Here's my suggestion for the handle.

Don't make a 'handle'.

Make something that will stick out of the cake and appear to be a handle but it's an iceberg thing where there's a whole lot more to it under the surface if you get my meaning.

People make 'a handle' then try to adhere them to the cake with toothpicks or something--agh! Like a wobbly wiggley toothpick will balance a few ounce weight of handle. Think iceberg.

I would use fondant plus cornstarch for the handle.

Cake buddies would often use gum paste or gum paste + fondant.

You could make one out of modeling chocolate too.

Handle thoughts for you.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 4

You could also make the handle out of RKT (rice krispy treats) and cover it with fondant, it would be a lot lighter. I'd form the handle around a lollipop stick so it will be sturdy (in fact for a handle you could use a lollipop stick on each end) leave a good 3 to 4 inches sticking out and push that into the cake. You could even carve into the cake a little bit for extra stability.

Chrissy215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrissy215 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 4

Excellent Ideas, thank you very much
(my first thought was to stick something into the cake but then I wasn't thinking about the instability of doing that)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%