Fondx Fondant Question

Decorating By Newatdecorating Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 7:05pm by cylstrial

Newatdecorating Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 8

Just purchased two 2-lb. packages and wanted to find out the best way to store and the shelf life.

Thanks in advance for you help!

7 replies
cylstrial Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 8

I keep mine in my laundry room. If you haven't opened the package, the shelf life is quite a while. Once you break the package open, you will have to find another contained (in my experience the Fondx lid never seals properly again). I just rub crisco all over the fondant and wrap it back in the plastic bag that it came in. I swirl the top and put it in a Satin Ice bucket (that seals wonderfully). Anyway, I put the part of the bag that I twisted up in the bottom of the bucket.

Hope this helps.

dandelion56602 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:26am
post #3 of 8

I read on their site, that unopened it lasts 12 months. they didn't specify after opened, ETA: at room temp with bag sealed & lid tight.

I am wondering about the taste. What does it taste like? And does it take flavor well?

Newatdecorating Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the help!

I just bought two bags. The place I purchased it gave samples for you to taste. I can only tell you that I liked it. This is the fourth type of fondant that I've tasted. The first being Wilton and we all know about it. The others were MMF & Toba Garrett's fondant that I had made. I like the taste of Fondx fondant the best. I can't answer your question about taking flavor.

dandelion56602 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 8

I've spoiled myself on Michele Foster's fondant b/c I can flavor it how I want, but I'm just thinking about the expense of making it vs buying & the consistency of every batch, etc. I know I hate pettinice & of course Wilton's, but have never tried Fondx or Satin Ice, but would like to. I've thought about buying Fondx and ChocoPan & mixing them to see how that turns out. May wait until I can get to a supply store though.

cylstrial Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 8

Dandelion -- what is Michele Foster's fondant? Is it like MMF and you make it? Or do you buy it somewhere? I've still got some Fondx in the laundry room. I'll go and taste some in a little while. I've never tasted it... sad to say. I won some for a cake competition and just used it on another cake competition. I never even thought about trying it. =o) Anyway, I'll let ya know what I think.

dandelion56602 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 8

My favorite flavor to use is Butavan or butter. Butter & almond are good too.

cylstrial Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for sharing the recipe with me. I'll have to try it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%