Now I Have "seed" Money

Decorating By Ruth0209 Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 9:44pm by Deb_

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 11

After 10 years with my company, yesterday I got laid off. It wasn't totally unexpected because the company is struggling, but it's still tough.

But, here's the great news. I've been doing the cake business very part time for quite a while, wishing more and more that I could do it full time and leave corporate America behind, but I couldn't justify voluntarily giving up the pay and group benefits.

Now that day has come. I'll net about $12,000 from my severance that gives me what I need to beef up the business and become a full time cake decorator. I might even be able to go to pastry school under the Trade Assistance Act. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the possibilities.

I'm sad and happy. I'm terrified and hopeful. This is a turning point in my life. I can honestly say that it would not be possible without what I've learned on CC. Wish me luck, cake buddies. I'm going to need it!

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 11

God bless you, Ruth! Been there and well trying to do it. icon_biggrin.gif

Hope all goes well for you--I wish you the best.

Be as careful as you can to not get depressed--it's pretty easy to do--it might be unavoidable but give yourself plenty of space and be tolerant of your feelings--dude I got a cat too but anyway.

One tiny step for a different schedule one giant leap toward a new life.

<Raising my coffee cup high> Cheers to Ruthie, Cake Buddy Supreme!!!

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 11

I do wish you luck! Sometimes what at first appears to be a tragedy, in reality is a blessing in disguise. Good luck!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 11

Best of luck in this next stage of your life. Be sure to check into Pastry School. What a great opportunity that would be. It's that "silver lining" thing ... icon_smile.gif

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 11

Everyone I talk to that has been laid off is "lost" - it is sad and there is not much you can do to make them feel better.

I am happy to hear that you are using this time to work on your passion for baking. There have been many stories of succesful small businesses that started off just like yours.

I am sending out good baking vibrations! thumbs_up.gif

RebekahR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebekahR Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 11

Good Luck!!! I totally believe that everything happens for a reason! God will never put anything before you that you can't handle. This is your time to blossom into a full time cake decorating goddess icon_biggrin.gif And definitely go to pastry school if you can! What an awesome opportunity!

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 11

Oh Ruth! I know exactly what you are feeling right now. I was laid off from a major financial institution last year and I was lost. I had so much free time and that is how I got into cake decorating. As sad as I was, it was a relief (I hated my job but needed the income, miserable job actually)....that being said, it was a blessing in disguise. I am in graduate school now and I can bake and decorate. The sad feelings went away and I am so happy now!
Good luck to you!

jolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolly Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 11

its allways in hinesite that we are selfs see god working in our lifes, althought i cant see you, i can see god working in your life by the way you talk about it and what others have said. i got hurt on a job last year and it was the end of my carrier, i was a cabinet and furniture maker.needless to say i was lost, but god had other plans because now i put my creativaty into cakes instead, and i love it im happer than ive ever been, im baking cupcakes today for my daughters school and im still in my slippers, and we have never gone without, thank you god. so good luck and let us know how its going. peace, dennis

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you all for your encouragement! I knew I could count on my cake community to understand and care about me! What a wonder to have all of you out there whom I've never even met, and still we have a kinship. It's a warm and wonderful feeling.

I spent most of the day yesterday crying and beginning to lay to rest what is done. You really do have to say good-bye and grieve over what you've lost before you can embrace what's in front of you. It always stings a bit to be the one they picked to go (well, actually there were 500 of us, but about 20 in my department), but they've really done me the favor I've been waiting for.

I'm so excited for the future, and I'm very lucky to have an incredible husband, mother, and daughters who all think I'm a regular cake genius, and who support me all the way. My life really is blessed.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:59pm
post #10 of 11

Good luck Ruth. I really hope that this cloud has a lovely, happy, shiny silver lining for you!! thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:44pm
post #11 of 11

Ruth, I wish you the best of luck in your new venture! God never closes one door without opening another.......it's your time cake buddy, go for it!

Deb icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%