How Much Cake Board Are You Suppose To See?

Decorating By cakes22 Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 2:12pm by Bluehue

cakes22 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 3

I'm just wondering if there is a standard for this. I have seen cakes where you can see 1-2 inches around, and others that you can't hardly see the board at all.
Also, do you cc'ers make your own boards or do you order them? I'm still starting out and trying to be cost efficient?
Canadian bakers: where do you ordered your supplies from? Trying not to order too much from the states cause of the duty.
TIA

2 replies
JenWhitlock Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 3

I think that it's personal preference, but I'll want to see what other say!

a lot of times I use a board that is just a couple inches bigger than the base cake, but sometimes I use a large one - it depends on the style of the cake and whether it's a style element in the cake or if I want to minimize it.

I assemble my own drums, I buy 3 cake circles, tape them together and wrap them in foil. I also use foam core wrapped in foil.
(or in one case, I used a piece of plywood, wrapped, for structural reasons icon_lol.gif )

oh, I have also used foam core with a piece of pretty paper on top, then wrapped in cellophane (or clear shelfpaper?) e.g. my flowerpot cake.

Bluehue Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 3

Sometimes depending on the cake, i suggest to the client that the *theme* of the cake can be carried down onto the board - so in that case i use larger boards so as to decorate the board as per the cake.

I perfer to do this actually as you don't get the *stop... end of cake* look at the bottom.

But it really is a personnel choice - of what the client and you both like and agree too.
Also - if candles are to be added to the board - it doesn't look so cluttered.

When it comes to decorating - i don't think thre are any *hard and fast* rules - otherwise every cake and board would look the same.

No, i don't make my own boards - i buy mine (wooden).
Then when i get home i turn the boards over and glue little clear plastic feet onto the board - makes it easier to get your fingers underneath for lifting.

Hope this helps give you some ideas.

Bh. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%