Fuddruckers Cake

Decorating By mellormom Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 8:46pm by mellormom

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 31

I will be making a cake for a fund raising event. It is for my son's school and it will be held at Fuddruckers. (The fuddruckers is in our local Furniture store where lots of people come through so I'm very excited! icon_smile.gif )
My question is How would I make the wedge fries and How much would you charge for the cake. (I'm not charging the school but if people ask)
Here is a pic of what I'm going to do. It will also have a drink beside it.
Thanks for any help!
Jen...
LL

30 replies
traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 31

I made a burger and fries cake and made krinkle fries with a krinkle cutter, they looked real. To make the wedges, I would roll you sugar cookie dough in a ball and cut wedges. Color the dough yellow and you can even sprinkle cocoa or cinnamon on them to add the brown coloring. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 31

I'd just make them from fondant. They will be more even that way since cookies will spread a bit. You can color the fondant the lighter color and then accent it with chocolate brown petal dust to get the cooked look.

I start carved cakes at $250 (depending on the size though... if your burger is going to be small then you could adjust).

I know where you'll be. I took my kids to see The Polar Express at the IMAX a couple years back and we ate at Fudruckers. I used to live in Malden and worked at the Square One Mall when I was younger (like 10 years ago YIKES!! icon_lol.gif). Good luck with the fundraiser! icon_smile.gif

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 31

What traceyjade said...that's a very good way to make the fries!

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 31

when i made my fries i made a mini sheet cake, cut into strips once it cooloed and sprinkled with yellow sugar crystals to look like salt. I like the other ideas in order to get the brown color

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 31

I woul make them out of chocolate plastic, modeling chocolate or whatever you want to call it. They will look good and taste great too!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 31

Sorry I'm not home right now, but I made a burger cake before and made the fries out of peanut butter fudge and then cut them to look like fries.

jlynnw Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 31

mmmmm, peanutbutter fudge sounds good. white fudge with strawberry "ketchup"

mellormom Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 31

WOW! Thanks for all the quick replies! All of your ideas seems very yummy! icon_smile.gif Your making me hungry!
Gatta love CC!
Jen...

mellormom Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:28pm
post #10 of 31

jkalman; I very excited because that Fuddruckers is visited by a lot of people, plus I will be in the middle area of Jordan's By the Jelly bean store where the tables are, so lots of people should be able to see my cakes! icon_smile.gif Hopefully some business will come of it! icon_smile.gif
Jen...

mellormom Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 31

How about the ice for the drink I'm making? Would you do it with pulled sugar? I've never worked with that before so....
Jen...

mellormom Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:13pm
post #12 of 31

How about the ice for the drink I'm making? Would you do it with pulled sugar? I've never worked with that before so....
Jen...

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:20pm
post #13 of 31

What is Fuddruckers? Say it three times in a row really fast!

Seester... I was born in the same city as Chris van Allsburg. It was so cool to read The Polar Express and KNOW all the references!

mellormom Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:43pm
post #14 of 31

Fuddruckers is a burger joint in the US.
Jen...

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:59pm
post #15 of 31

You could use isomalt for the ice like Marina Sousa did for the beads on Miley Cyrus' BD cake.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:12pm
post #16 of 31

I just watched an ACE of CAKES episode where he made a kahlua and cream drink and for the ice he boiled sugar/water to hard crack poured it on a cookie sheet, when cool and hard, just cracked it with a hammer, the drink I believe was just royal icing...but I s'pose to get a transluscent look for a soda you might be able to use gelatin(jello)...actually couldnt you make clear jello jigglers...oh scratch that jello idea it would prob melt sitting out any length of time for an auction.

mellormom Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:27pm
post #17 of 31

bbmom,
just sugar and water is all he used? Do you know the ratios he used?
Jen...

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:49pm
post #18 of 31

We just use plain white cake to cut the wedges from, then airbrush them...don't ice them leave them just as carved cake pieces.

jlynnw Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:55pm
post #19 of 31

make knox blocks. Gelatin cubes with knox gelatine, there is a spot on CC some place about them.

FromScratch Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:20pm
post #20 of 31

You don't need a specific ratio of water to sugar as the water evaporates completely by the time the sugar gets to the hard crack stage. Just put enough water to make it wet. 1 c of sugar and 1/4 of water should be good... you can double if you need more. icon_smile.gif

Chutz... my son was 2.5 when we went to see the movie and I figured he'd be sick of it 1/4 of the way through... but he sat still as a statue through the whole thing including the credits. It was in 3-D so I'm sure that helped, but he loved it so much. We read it at Christmas time too. Such a good book. Very cool to have lived where it was based from. It's like me watching movies/reading books based in Boston. It's much more interesting when you know where things are and how they are related.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:46pm
post #21 of 31

Oh, glad someone answered, I've never done it, I just watched it on Ace of Cakes. Looked interesting though.

mellormom Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:00pm
post #22 of 31

Thanks everyone! I will deffinately try the sugar trick. I can't wait to get started. icon_smile.gif
How do you know when you have achieved hard crack stage?
Jen...

jlynnw Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 10:36pm
post #23 of 31

drop a bit in ice water, when it cracks and stays hard, it is at the hard crack stage.

FromScratch Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 10:52pm
post #24 of 31

It's a temperature thing... you achieve the hard crack stage when sugar reaches about 300 degrees. Get a thermometer made for making candy and it will have the temps marked with the different stages as well. icon_smile.gif

mellormom Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:20am
post #25 of 31

Got it! Thanks!
Jen...

mellormom Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:44pm
post #26 of 31

Here is the finished cake. I'm entering it in a contest this weekend. So that should be fun. icon_biggrin.gif
Jen...
LL
LL

mellormom Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:45pm
post #27 of 31

I forgot the overall picture. LOL
Jen...
LL

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:55pm
post #28 of 31

great job

jlynnw Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:02am
post #29 of 31

does this make any one else hungry for a hamburger? MMM, that look's so tasty! Oh, ya, cake, mmmm good. I still what a hamburger!

mellormom Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:26am
post #30 of 31

thanks!
Jen...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%