Flavouring Oils...and Royal Icing

Baking By iwantcookies Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 1:53pm by TracyLH

iwantcookies Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:19am
post #1 of 10

This may be a stupid question, so i apologize in advance, but can you flavour Royal Icing with flavouring oils? Or will it just muck it all up? icon_redface.gif

9 replies
majka_ze Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:29am
post #2 of 10

Not oil - if you get even a little grease in RI, it can break it. But water-based or alcohol-based flavoring should be OK.

iwantcookies Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 12:45am
post #3 of 10

thanks for that majka_ze!

TracyLH Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 10

Here is a link to a posting about flavorings/Lorann's Oils and RI that might help as well:

iwantcookies Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:28am
post #5 of 10

thanks traceyLH, you're a gem! that post was extremely helpful. Luckily there is an ebay seller here in Australia that sells LorAnn oils!

HeidiCrumbs Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:24am
post #6 of 10

Thanks for posting this!

After reading the linked post I just ordered four different emulsions. Lemon, almond, vanilla butter and the sweet bakery dough one. I am sooooo excited! It worries me a bit that parts of them are artificial flavorings, but I'll try anything once. They sound too tummy to pass up.

TracyLH Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 10

Heidi - I understand. I am sticking with all-natural ingredients, but it admittedly is a lot more limiting and these Lorann flavorings sound delicious. I did pick up some pure lemon extract and some pure orange extract and will be looking at some others along those lines. Yours do sound delicious and I know a lot of people just love them!

roweeena Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:21pm
post #8 of 10

haha! I did this on wednesday! Was tired and didnt even think... Yup. all i got was sugary minty goop!

HeidiCrumbs Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 10

Tracy - I am excited to try them, but I did get the smallest bottle just in case they taste "artificial." I hate the clear artificial vanilla so I was a bit hesitant, but the sweet bakery dough, gosh, that sounds amazing! In my advertising I wanted to market my cookies as "local, premium and all natural," but if this emulsion tastes as good as they make it sound, I may have to drop the "all natural" part. We'll see.

TracyLH Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 1:53pm
post #10 of 10

Heidi - That was a good idea to get the smallest bottle. I dropped using the clear vanilla when I discovered it wasn't even vanilla icon_confused.gif. I don't know what you are using now, but I use pure van. extract (The Kirkland Madagascar pure van. ext. brand from Cost-Co after SweetDreamsAT shared that with me) and it works great! The only time the tinge it gives is an issue is if I am doing white. I balance that out with Americolor Briight White and I am all set. Pure almond extract worked very nicely too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%