Pre-Bought Cake Mix So Much Nicer Than Mine But

Decorating By joanna3292 Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 8:54am by majka_ze

joanna3292 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:15am
post #1 of 3

I thought my cakes were ok until I tried a shop bought cake mix which tastes absolutely lovely and I am really pleased with it - it will also mean that I dont have to keep running to the shops for more eggs, flour etc! The only problem is that the cake has risen really strangely, off to one side which left me with a shallow cake and a kind of triangle on the top which all had to be cut off - am I doing something wrong or has anyone got any tips?

2 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:43am
post #2 of 3

the only thing i can possibly think of that would cause this would of been your oven? perhaps its hotter in one area than others? that on your oven shelf is not level? i know with my oven, its hotter at the back that the fron t, so the back always browns first, i always turn my cakes half way through cooking otherwise one sides burnts and one sides raw lol

majka_ze Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:54am
post #3 of 3

Either uneven temperature in the oven but you should see this problem with other cakes or perhaps the rising agent in the mix wasn't distributed evenly.
If this was the cause - next time pre-mix the dry ingredients only - add liquids and mix again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%