Business Idea? Cupcakes/craigslist Ad

Business By Cakenicing4u Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 9:08pm by majormichel

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:11am
post #1 of 23

I saw this on Craigslist, and I'm waiting for a response...

3/3/2009

Cupcakes and happy faces - business opportunity

Simply Cupcakes of Naplesis a growing online cupcakery in Naples FL. Now, you can prosper from our experience and grow a successful cupcake business in the reading area. Enjoy the rush of owning your own cupcakery and the joy of providing an appreciated and desired product.

We show you how to make a high quality cupcake that will impress your customers, keeping them coming back again and again. We give you everything required to open your cupcakery along with the advice and assistance to make your hard work successful.

Just reply to this ad by way of email and ask for more information on this incredibly simple and very prosperous opportunity.

Sometimes the simpliest concepts are the most lucrative. We look forward to hearing from you!

"Make Cupcakes; not war"

I'm rather suspicious, but curious too!
icon_lol.gif

22 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 23

It sounds like a franchise opportunity. Couldn't hurt to email and see what the response is.

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 23

Have you google: Simply Cupcakes of Naplesis. Also, check with the better business bureau in that area.

These are some suggestions. But you also have my curisoity going.

Let us know.

Mazz

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 23
mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 23

I googled it. They have one in quite a bit of different areas on Craigslist. The main thing I noticed is grammar and capitalization issues which is a red flag to me that they are not "professional" listings, but maybe listings by someone who is getting paid per reply to their ad. I'd be cautious.

MichelleM77 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 23

It does seem a little strange that their grand opening is March 6 and they are already franchising? I would call the shop directly, not reply to the CL ad, to see what is really going on.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 23

It looks like all they are selling you are things you can get opening your own shop.

business cards, post cards, address labels, apron with logo, cupcake boxes, cupcake pans, recipe book, pastry bags, tips and a scoop.

And assistance in complying with local laws and requirements on operating a cupcake business, which we all know is different in every state but you would still have to either open a storefront or have a seperate kitchen from your home to bake(if you are in FL). Assistance can just be telling you where to look for the info in which case you can find it here for free.

So really, why would you pay $5000 for things you can just order from Global Sugar Art, BRP box shop.com, Michael's & Vista Print, have someone design your own logo, & set up your own website? icon_cool.gif

Edited to add: I'm not saying it's a scam or anything. It's just they are just opening and you would be paying into a business that hasn't even made a footprint in the sand yet.

MichelleM77 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:51pm
post #9 of 23

They said you get to use their name too, so it does sound more like a franchise.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:54pm
post #10 of 23

Just be careful and check it out. There are so many scams out there!

No-goodLazyBum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
No-goodLazyBum Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 23

I don't know what to make of them but what they are doing is not different, just not the norm. It looks like they are attempting to ride the cupcakery trend like a lot of others are as well (but they are starting from the bottom up). Perhaps they are offering to teach all of the money making secrets to the cupcake baking business to the average (hence craigslist and ebay) who might not have the experience but they have $4K+ laying around and they might not be working right now.

My 2 cents is that they are just trying to make money like everyone else by thinking outside the box. And they probably don't mind ticking off every baker who has worked on their secret recipes and techniques for years in the process by making McCupcakes. icon_wink.gif

No-goodLazyBum Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:25pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocorum21

So really, why would you pay $5000 for things you can just order from , BRP box shop.com, Michael's & Vista Print, have someone design your own logo, & set up your own website? icon_cool.gif

Edited to add: I'm not saying it's a scam or anything. It's just they are just opening and you would be paying into a business that hasn't even made a footprint in the sand yet.

It makes it easy for people who aren't even bakers to get in on the trend which means more money for them. And I agree that it isn't a scam, just a very homogenous way of looking at the baking business ("...if I can you can").

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:57pm
post #13 of 23

Here's an article from Wink News in this area from March of 2008.

http://www.winknews.com/features/monday/16949271.html?skipthumb=Y

I tried to bring up the video where they were featured and couldn't get it.

No-goodLazyBum Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:47pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedoll

Here's an article from Wink News in this area from March of 2008.

http://www.winknews.com/features/monday/16949271.html?skipthumb=Y

I tried to bring up the video where they were featured and couldn't get it.

Thanks for the info. All ignorance aside now, I can't find anything wrong with what Simply Cupcakes is doing.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:11pm
post #15 of 23

Their cupcakes look yummy.

Cakenicing4u Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:00pm
post #16 of 23

Yeah- the info from eBay is the same as what I was emailed late last night. It's an idea... And I replied with the same concerns- a web link to .Net that didn't work- spelling and grammatical errors- things like 'we operate as a web based business' but they have a store opening this week... I said I'm curious, but suspicious too! I'll see what the response I'd to that and let you know! Also, they did remove the post from craigslist!

Kennyglas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kennyglas Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:02pm
post #17 of 23

My wife and I are the owners of Simply Cupcakes of Naples and we noticed over 75 visitors on our web site from this forum today so we were curious. I would hope that those of you who are making comments have received our full information. If you have, you know that we have been in business for three years as an online cupcakery. The business has grown to a point that we needed extra equipment and space so we are opening a retail location (actually tomorrow). We are opening with a large base of repeat customers and for the most part will still sell mostly a dozen or more at a time. What we are offering people is a complete and proven business plan. It includes a web site that has online ordering, a logo, recipes and a complete manual. There is much more but I won't list them. It is not a franchise since there are no ongoing fees. We have found many people who would like to go into the cupcake business but don't know where to start. Our program allows people to start a business without making the usual mistakes. Yes some of what we provide can be ordered by anyone and people who can do it should. However, we have found many people who want to be in business for themselves but not by themselves. I invite anyone who has questions, comments or criticisms to email me [email protected]. By the way, this is not an advertisement; just an explanation.

Ken Glasgow / SimplyCupcakes of Naples[/ www.naplescupcakes.com

Cakenicing4u Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:08pm
post #18 of 23

Wow! A resonse directly from them the day before they open! That's a good sign of a solid support system, I think!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:29pm
post #19 of 23

I dont know about ya'll but now I am curious!

alvarezmom Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:32pm
post #20 of 23

I emailed to the email address that was provided just now. Very curious about this.

Cakenicing4u Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:37pm
post #21 of 23

Yeah, it's given me some food for thought.. I just don't know if I can get those prices for cupcakes around here. We;re a strange bunch up here... at the grocery, 6 cupcakes is $3.69 and I've seen the sales drop since they broke the $3 line...

Do you think the bigger cupcakes are made in that super-deep pan that Wilton makes??

alvarezmom Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 8:47pm
post #22 of 23

I can sell the big "muffin" size ones for $5.00 depending on what I put on them.

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:08pm
post #23 of 23

You already have your own clientele and all of your equipement, why do you want to go that route. I think that company focuses more on people who knows nothing about baking on the whole.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%