Help Please! Number Of Servings Per Layer

Decorating By MistyNV30 Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 5:40am by MistyNV30

MistyNV30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistyNV30 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:41am
post #1 of 5

I have a customer who wants a 3 tier cake. She hasn't decided if she wants a single layer or double. So here is where I'm not sure, I was looking at the wiltons serving charts for a 6 8 10 inch layers. It gives you the # of servings for 2 layers. Now would I cut that number in half for single layer 2 inches high?

It's for her mothers 47th birthday. She wants it simple but classy. Gold & Silver with roses on top. I just don't think it would look right only being 2 inches high. Would you do a double layers. She doesn't want any special filling. And needs to be done in buttercream.

Any suggestions would be great. She needs this for the 15th of this month. And a budget of about $100.00.

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:53am
post #2 of 5

A 6/8/10 round serves 12+24+38 = 74. that's double layer (4" tall).

Yes, if it were me, I'd cut the numbers in half, so a single layer 6/8/10 will serve about 37.

$100 for 75 servings is nuts. She can't afford cake for 75 if all she has is $100. So if she can't decide which she wants, her budget should be making the decision for her. My client would pay $225 for a 6/8/10 cake. (Oh wait .... I forgot I raised my prices. They'd pay $260.)

Any idea how many people she needs to feed?

MistyNV30 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:11am
post #3 of 5

She hasn't given me that info. I don't think she really knows but I don't think it would be even close to 75 maybe 20-25. Any suggestions?

I'm fairly new at this so I have know idea what to charge for something like this. The ones I did recently that I have pics of in my photos I only charged $30.00 each and they were 3 tier custom size cakes . And of course I was told that I didn't charge enough for them.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:16am
post #4 of 5

If I had a client request a 3-tier cake for 25, I'd tell her, "You can't have 3 tiers for 25 people". An 8" alone serves 24.

Darlin', you GAVE those cakes away at $30. icon_lol.gif

Here's the wilton chart I go by to determine my pricing: http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm Use this to give you an idea of number of servings per tier, then apply your per-serving price.

MistyNV30 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:40am
post #5 of 5

Thanks! That's the chart that I was looking at.
Well okay so tell me what you think. If I do a single layer 6/8/10 2in. for 100.00 that would equal out to be 2.70 a serving. I still don't think they would go for it. But I guess if they want something special they can take it or leave it. But do you think it would look okay at only 2inches for each layer?
And once again thanks for all your help this place is wonderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%