I Need Help Salvaging My Mmf

Decorating By Christen99 Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 7:46pm by majka_ze

Christen99 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:40am
post #1 of 5

This is my first time starting a post, and unfortunately it's for a really lame issue. I have never worked with fondant before, and so I made a batch of Rhonda's MMF to practice with. I realized several hours after making it, that I most likely forgot to put in that last cup of powdered sugar. I'm sure it should have seemed obvious, but since I've never made it before I thought it had to set for several hours to firm up a bit (and I don't exactly know what the correct density should look like having never worked with it before). It seemed like a somewhat firm taffy when I wrapped it, and it's been sitting for several hours (I made it at 2:30 and it's now 8:30). Can I remove it from the plastic and just try and knead the rest of the sugar in? If so, do I have to let it rest again before using it or can I use it right then?

How do I color the fondant? I just made a batch of white, but I want to also make some flesh, and red. I'm also planning on making black, but I need to make a separate batch of chocolate for that.

Thank you!

4 replies
nicolesprinkle Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:26am
post #2 of 5

You actually don't need all the sugar. The consistency should be like playdough. As far as coloring here is a video on Youtube that really helped me. GL

Christen99 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you! I'm going to take it out and play with it either today or Saturday, so I'll see how it goes. I'm planning on covering a 1/2 ball with it, which I figured was the easiest shape to cover since there aren't any creases.

Tivadoll Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 5

This may not be helpful since you already made the MMF fondant. When I make it I actually add the color to the melted marshmallows. Once I got it to the color I needed thats when I added the powdered sugar. Then I just kneaded it until the sugar/white was not visible anymore. When I tried to add the color to the actual fondant it was very streaky and just didnt work. It seemed easier to add/mix it into the marshmallow when it was in liquid form.

majka_ze Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 5

If you really want to salvage your fondant, you can thin the color in teaspoon of water and mix this into your fondant. You may need add more sugar after this or not - depending on your current consistency.
You can CAREFULLY melt the fondant in MW for few sec. only, try, give it another 10s in MW if needed. This melts the marshmallows a little and you can kneed it better. Take cake - you could bake it instead of melting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%