Anybody Chinese Here? Need Help With Chinese Character.

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 12:49pm by BakingGirl

BakingGirl Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:29am
post #1 of 8

My best friend is moving to Hong Kong soon icon_cry.gif and she is quite apprehensive about the move. I want to make her and her family a cake for their leaving party. I want to focus on the more positive side of their move, the great food in Hong Kong. So I was thinking about doing a Dim Sum cake. I would also like to incorporate a Chinese good luck symbol somwhere on the cake which I was thinking I could do in Color Flo and paint with gold luster dust.

I used to live in HK myself so I am vaguely familiar with the Fu symbol but I am not sure if it is appropriate to use in this context - as a Good Luck on your travels sort of things.

If any of you can help point me in the right direction of an appropriate Chinese character to use, I would be very grateful!

7 replies
BakingGirl Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 8

OK, lets try again. Halloooooo, anybody out there?

BakingGirl Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 8

Hm, you would think statistically there would be a lot of Chinese CC members. All I can hear are crickets chirping and tumbleweed rolling.

wrightway777 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:03am
post #4 of 8

My brother is majoring in Asian Studies and I have seen many cakes with "#4" on this site:

hope thats helps - I would take solice in #4s description of the symbol

mzkatie Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:49am
post #5 of 8

The Chinese "bon voyage" is "yi lu ping an" (pronounced eee loo ping ahn). The literal meaning is "have a safe trip." A "fu" (luck) cake would be nice, but "fu" is mostly used for new year's. I tried to include the characters here but this system can't read/post them. Just search out the phrase (in quotation marks) in Yahoo. At least one site with the characters will pop up. Hao dangao!

tripleD Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:45pm
post #6 of 8

Another suggestion.. This has worked for me. I Eat at a local chinese restaurant and have gotten o be friends with the employee. I needed a cake with Happy birthday written.I asked them to write it for me so I could do the lettering on the cake they were glad to help.

BakingGirl Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:47pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you both for your replies, that was very helpful. I found an example of the "yi lu ping an" on a site so I may go for that one, if I can pull it off. The characters looked quite complex so we'll see how well it translates into icing. Thanks again for the help!

BakingGirl Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:49pm
post #8 of 8

Triple D, you snuck in there all of a sudden. Your suggestion is a good idea. My MIL is Chinese so I can ask her, but with the time difference I figured it would be as quick to ask online. But yes, your suggestion is good - I had not thought of that. There is a Chinese grocery store in town where the staff are all really friendly so I could ask them there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%