Pastry Pride Vs Frostin Pride

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 4:02pm by mbt4955

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:28am
post #1 of 9

So I've been looking for Rich's Buttercreme or Frostin Pride in my area, but no one carries it. However, I can find Pastry Pride. I got some today, thinking it was the same thing as Frostin Pride and once whipped would be okay to be unrefrigerated for up to 7 days. On the package of the Pastry Pride though it says it must remain refrigerated even after whipping. Is this not the same stuff as Frostin Pride? It says it's nondairy, so why is it perishable. I'm so confused. I'm so wanting to try all these great Buttercreme variations and need something that doesn't require constant refrigeration.

8 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:22am
post #2 of 9

Non-dairy doesn't automatically mean shelf stable.

For example, Cool Whip and Coffee-Mate are both non-dairy but still require refrigeration.

It's recommended that any unused or yet to be used Rich's Bettercreme be refrigerated for storage.
However, the prewhipped or liquid (when whipped) are shelf stable for 5 days.

Rich's Bettercreme handling instructions:

http://tinyurl.com/yt4eyu

Rich's Bettercreme ingredients:

Rich's (Vanilla) Bettercreme:

High fructose corn syrup, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, contains less than 2% of the following: *sodium caseinate, (a milk derivative), soy protein concentrate, polysorbate 60, carbohydrate gum, sugar, salt, artificial flavor, soy lecithin, polyglycerol esters of fatty acids, to preserve freshness (potassium sorbate), xanthan gum. *Not a source of lactose.

What's in Pastry Pride?

Also, can you provide the handling instructions exactly as they are on the container. As well as ALL info on the packaging (as I can't find any solid info on the 'net so I can do further research).

(Also could you share the UPC code with a member who needs it to get her store to order Pastry Pride.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-621061-.html

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:32am
post #3 of 9

I use both Pastry Pride and Frostin Pride. IMHO Pastry Pride reminds me of cool whip. I like both and as far as I can remember frostin pride can sit out, I also use it as a base for fillings.

If you have a smart n final in your area, you may want to check there. That is where I get mine.

tootie0809 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 9

Okay so here are the ingredients in Pastry Pride:
"Water, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, high fructose corn syrus, corn syrup, sugar, sodium caseinated (a milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, salt, soy lecithin, mono and diglycerides, carrageenan, corn starch, maltodextrin, colored with beta carotene."

The handling instructions are as follows:
"Once thawed, Pastry Pride keeps fresh 3 weeks in refrigerator. Product can be frozen after whipped."

There is no mention of stability or shelf life once whipped.

Thanks for your help JanH! icon_smile.gif I'll post the UPC code in the thread you provided in hopes that it helps whoever is looking for it.

tootie0809 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindambc

I use both Pastry Pride and Frostin Pride. IMHO Pastry Pride reminds me of cool whip. I like both and as far as I can remember frostin pride can sit out, I also use it as a base for fillings.

If you have a smart n final in your area, you may want to check there. That is where I get mine.

I have a Baker's C&C. I wonder if they might carry the Frostin Pride. I'll give them a call.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 9

Can someone tell me who makes/manufacturer's Frostin' Pride? I am going to see if I can get a local restaurant to order FP or Bettercreme for me. Thanks!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 9

It's been many years since I talked to Presto Foods, then the makers of Pasty Pride & Frostin Pride. They were completely shocked that cake decorators were using PP instead of FP on their cakes icon_smile.gif
The instructions for frig'ing either is for any unused liquid - not the finished product once on a cake. Back then (maybe 15-20 yrs ago) they said a cake covered/decorated w/ either can sit at room temp for up to 3 days; frig'd up to 7 days.
Smart N Final or Gordon's Food Service both carry it.......or at least the ones I have shopped in did icon_smile.gif

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 9

Just my two cents worth...I find the PP a little to fake or synthetic for my palette. I have used Frostin' Pride in the past and like that much better. I have used the chocolate Bettercreme and it's good; haven't tried the vanilla bettercreme with Melvira's variations yet!! To be honest, I usually only use these fillings when I need something very shelf-stable...that I know is going to be out for a while or that I know there won't be any refrigeration available for.

I get my bettercreme and FP at Smart and Final. There is also a party supply place called Grand Events which stocks a freezer full of PP,FP, and bettercreme too I think. (I thought that was kinda weird, at a party supply, but I guess it fits. Look at me stuck in the box!! icon_rolleyes.gif )

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 9

Cyndi1207 mentioned party supply stores too, but I guess some places have much more extensive party stores than we do here. icon_sad.gif I'm playing my "brother in the restaurant business" card and hoping that they use a food service company that I can order Bettercreme from. If not, Cyndi1207 has graciously offered to send me some!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%