Globe Cake 12"

Decorating By Delynn Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 7:19pm by Delynn

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:07am
post #1 of 7

Anyone ever made a "NON-POUNDCAKE" 12" globe cake? I'll be using Duncan Hines marble cake mixes. Is there something (dry pudding mix?) that I can add to make it slightly firmer but not dense like a pound cake? My customer wants it decorated with BC icing. I need to know what kind of inexpensive disposable support I can use and a good way to carve it too. They'll be transporting it so I want to make sure it doesn't fall apart before they get there. Should I give them a square piece of white foam rubber to transport it on too? I told my customer I'd let her know tomorrow or Friday. I will be extremely grateful for any help with this. icon_confused.gif

6 replies
nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:35am
post #3 of 7

Firefox can't find this page. Can you re-send link or tell me how to see it?

Julie0902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie0902 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 7

I can't help with answers but I'm making a similar cake myself. Can you tell me how you are baking the globe so it's big enough and cooked all the way through?

Last week, I made the DH marble cake and substituted 1/4 cup of the water for 1/4 cup sour cream instead. I do this with most cakes and I think it's a little firmer and super moist and yummy.

I also plan to shave off a little of the bottom so it will lie flat and will probably stick a few skewers in it to hold the layers together.

Delynn Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 7

I'm going to just use 12" cakes and carve them into a globe because I didn't think there was any way to bake 1/2 globes evenly. I know I'll have to have cake circles in between + dowels to hold it up and a center dowel in the center to keep it from rolling off the board, even with a small flat section cut away at the base.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 7

what about using the large soccer ball pan (1/2 round) and put a 12" round in the middle? Looking forward to seeing it!

Delynn Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks, I may just do that but, I have to figure out how many 12" & 10" round cakes I need to make it look nice and round. I'm thinking about making a trial one as an experiment before I need the real thing mid-April.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%