Cupcakers I Need A Little Advice!

Baking By SeeChicletRun Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 11:08pm by ButtercupMama

SeeChicletRun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeeChicletRun Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:56am
post #1 of 5

Im having a hard time deciding what to do, so I thought Id ask the experts. In a few months I have to make a cake for my running club, but in two weeks many of us are meeting up for a race so I figured this would be a great opportunity to get several peoples opinions on the combonations Ill be using in the big cake. I only decorate for my family so my experience is limited. SO to my question:
One combonation is banana cake with PB filling+buttercream frosting (covered with fondant when it is in cake form) how in heavens name can I translate THAT into a cup cake? I can make due without the fondant but I think the filling and buttercream are crucial to the overall flavour experience. I need them to be fairly quick and simple, I have 3 kids under 5 and I will be driving 50 miles with them (both the kids AND the cup cakes icon_wink.gif ) to meet my friends for dinner.
The other combo is fudge marble with oreo buttercream, so I am just going to put the oreo buttercream on top like an 'average' cupcake and call that one a day. But any suggestions on my PB and Banana cupcake would be truly appreciated!
Thanks!!

4 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:55am
post #2 of 5

Could you fill the cupcakes with the PB filling? It's really easy--just put the filling in a piping bag with a fairly large tip. Stick the tip into the top of the cupcake, squeeze the bag gently until you see the top of the cupcake start to grow. (It may take a couple of "ooops" cupcakes to get the hang of it--but those can be your family's samples!

I've done chocolate cuppies with PB filling and chocolate frosting this way--yummy!!!

SeeChicletRun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeeChicletRun Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you!! I didnt think that would work, but if youve done it before Ill give it a shot!

Thanks!

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 5

There is a Wilton long thin tip (can't remember the number) that works really well for filling. It's what I use for filling cupcakes. I put it in about 3 times and puff out the cupcake.

ButtercupMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercupMama Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 5

I too have that long nosed tube tip, but what I find is easier on the hands (squeezing-wise) is:
Take a paring knife and poke a deep slit in the center of the cupcake top, then use fill a pastry bag with your filling, and use a regular round tip with a large opening, and squeeze a dollop in there.
If you're covering the top with icing anyway, this works like a charm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%