Make Shiney Cake Peices!

Decorating By CindysSweetTooth Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 7:35pm by poohsmomma

CindysSweetTooth Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:17am
post #1 of 6

Hi! i am making a cake of a kitchen. I want the countertops to look like granite and the appliances like stainless steel. what can i do to make those peices shine? what should I make them out of?
thank you.

5 replies
prterrell Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:48am
post #2 of 6

If you make them out of fondant and then coat them with luster dust, they will be shiney.

cakesbyclaire Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:54am
post #3 of 6

I would probably mix silver luster dust with vodka or some type of extract- any flavor then brush on the stainless steel.. I'd have this covered first with grey fondant or buttercream so it will have a definite silver/grey look.

For the granite, there is a new product I just found that produces a high shine... it is called confectioner's glaze (you paint this on), or edible spray lacquer. I haven't tried either but was at a cake show this weekend and saw a demo, it is amazing.... it also works as a sort os super glue... spray it on then dust sugar on top or edible glitter... very pretty! I think it would work for this! If you try it, pm me and let me know how it works!! ( I'm sure you could get it other places as well.

mamacc Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 6

confectioner's glaze is the best way to get a super shine. You can get it other places than chef rubber too.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 6

When I make my fondant pieces I dampen my finger with water and rub them. The sugar melts slightly then dries very glossy. Be sure you wipe them in a uniform direction so you dont have swirls in the top coat.

poohsmomma Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 6

There's a recipe for "edible varnish" in the CC recipe section. It's useful for making cake car windshields or other "glass" things shiny. It might work on your countertops, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%