Yet Another Priceing?????

Decorating By shelly-101 Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 6:39pm by shelly-101

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 13

I know, I know icon_redface.gif but i have never sold one of my cakes i only do them for friends and family.....

How much would you charge for the strawberry shortcake cake in my pics, topper and all? One of the little girls mother that was at my dd birthday party wants me to remake it for her dd birthday. It was a 10, 8 and two 6 in cakes the barrel of strawberries is the other 6in it is all coverd in fondant. Thanks in advance.

12 replies
shelly-101 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 13

Any one???

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:09am
post #3 of 13

I'm sorry to be of no help...I haven't done any topsy turvy. Just wanted to say that it's an adorable design. I'm sure you will get some replies before long.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:09am
post #4 of 13

It's so hard to say about price but it is sooooo pretty! I would suggest anywhere in the $6-12 dollars a slice range depending on where you live, bake from scratch, etc. Be sure to get a full deposit on that stand! Wish I had one.

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:11am
post #5 of 13

hey...can't help....not good with pricing....my DH comes up with all my prices.....I just wanted to say WHY are you not selling these!!! Your cakes are so beautiful. It takes so much time to do them and to do them that good. Really if you can be legal you should be selling these, you are very talented. icon_biggrin.gif

Banana0501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Banana0501 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:13am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

It's so hard to say about price but it is sooooo pretty! I would suggest anywhere in the $6-12 dollars a slice range depending on where you live, bake from scratch, etc. Be sure to get a full deposit on that stand! Wish I had one.

You do AMAZING work! Do Not sell yourself short (even if it's for one of your dd friends!) icon_smile.gif

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:14am
post #7 of 13

How long did it take you to make the cake? I can't imagine charging less than $5 to $7 a serving. Your cakes are fabulous, by the way!!

shelly-101 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:15am
post #8 of 13

Thank you......I would love to become leagle one day..... i am really thinking hard about selling her this cake because of this purpose.

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:23am
post #9 of 13

I have never sold a cake before either...but here is my best ballpark guess...I first went to a website to find out servings and this is what I found:
6" serves 6-8 (X2)
8" serves 12-15
10" serves 25-30

49-61 servings total, and then times it by how much you want to charge per slice and there you are. (That is the way that I would do it!)

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:26am
post #10 of 13

shelley101, your cake is beautiful... no matter if it is made from scratch, from the box...or box extender or you bought the layers from a bakery.. you did all the hard work.. all the designing,etc... add up the slices, charge what you think you can get for it.. don,t start low... it is too beautiful to just give away.. anybody can make cake layers.. everybody can,t decorate, and especially like you did on this cake.. all of your cakes are beautiful..my teacher told me 13 years ago... people pay for your expertise in decorating... they can,t do it..she was a great and knowledgeable teacher..

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:32am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassyMommy

I have never sold a cake before either...but here is my best ballpark guess...I first went to a website to find out servings and this is what I found:
6" serves 6-8 (X2)
8" serves 12-15
10" serves 25-30

49-61 servings total, and then times it by how much you want to charge per slice and there you are. (That is the way that I would do it!)

Yeah, but Wilton's wedding slice chart for 2 layer cakes, totaling 4" high are:

6" round= 12
8" round= 24
10" round= 38

That's 74 servings- don't undercharge. I've found them to be pretty accurate, unless you are serving teens!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:12am
post #12 of 13

Really cute cake. I'd charge at least $20/serv.

shelly-101 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:39pm
post #13 of 13

thanks so much. People really pay that much for a cake? Wow how exciting......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%