Flying With Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By EnjoyTheCake Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 3:25pm by brincess_b

EnjoyTheCake Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 3

I'm travelling to Arizona from Texas next week to do a cake for my cousin. I don't think I'll have enough time before the wedding to finish all the flowers for the cake and wanted to try and take some pre made with me.

What recommendations do you have to make the plane trip a little less tragic for the flowers? I was going to check my tools and pans but take the flowers in carry on. But I'm not sure what the best way is to pack them. Please share your thoughts, recommendations, and concerns with this idea.

Thanks in advance.

2 replies
EnjoyTheCake Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:41am
post #2 of 3

Has anyone flown with gum paste flowers before?

brincess_b Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 3

ive never flown, but i have driven - and im sure flying is a smoother journey (well, appart from landing!). when ive been driving its a case of lots of support and foam!
if your flowers are wired, sink them as far down into the foam as you can, so they cant shake about as much. unwired will sit nicely in dimpled foam, which should help to stop them moving quite so much too.
i would use a really sturdy box - even though u will be carrying it through, it may still get bumped about. and line the whole thing with foam as well. im not sure if you are better to have it in your hands (cant slip sideways in a bag) or keep it in a bag (more protection). probably a combination of the two!
good luck, im sure mot of them will survive icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%