Wood Or Paper? Thick Or Thin?

Baking By Lcubed82 Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 9:57pm by sallene

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 6

I have been playing with cookies for a cookie bouquet. For some reason, I am having more trouble and am psyching myself out.

What would you use:
1. Wooden dowels or the paper cookie sticks?
2. For the paper ones, cookie size or lollipop (not as fat a stick)?
3. 1/4" or 3/8" cookie? Not a big number difference, but seems to make a big difference in the cookie thickness.

I am happy with the recipe (NFSC), the icing (Antonia's), and the edible image (first time I've tried that).

TIA,
Linda

5 replies
Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 6

For bouquets, I use paper sticks and roll my cookies 3/8 or 1/2 inch. I use the longer sticks so that I can shorten them as needed. For cookies not on a stick, I roll 3/8.

mis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mis Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 6

I use wooden skewers for my cookie bouquets. I roll mine about 1/4 to 3/8 inch for sticks (depends on if I am running low on dough to get those last few out) LOL, without sticks I roll a little thinner. HTH

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 6

While I haven't done a lot of bouquets, I use a lot of cookies on sticks as cake decorations when I do basketweave cakes. (LOL, almost all the cakes posted in my photos are these!). I've had excellent luck using the Wilton Cookie Sticks (I use both lengths), and I roll the cookies to 1/4" thick. I lay the stick on the cookie sheet and lay the cut-out on top of the stick, gently pressing the dough around the stick. So far, I've never had a cookie fall off the stick.

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

What would you use:
1. Wooden dowels or the paper cookie sticks?
2. For the paper ones, cookie size or lollipop (not as fat a stick)?
3. 1/4" or 3/8" cookie? Not a big number difference, but seems to make a big difference in the cookie thickness.

I use them all!!!

If I find I'm doing a lot of bouquets and want to cut costs then I'll use the wooden bamboo skewers. I don't like using these on big cookies though and I find my cookies will "spin" on these easier than the paper sticks. You can fix that with a little icing though. I've never used the actual wooden dowels for cookies.

If I have an order for cookies on a stick but not in a bouquet so people will be holding them then I'll use the thicker cookie sticks because I think they feel better and would hold better when people handle them.

I also use a lot of the lollipop sticks in my bouquets with the longer ones being nice for the higher cookies in the bouquet.

I roll all my cookies to 1/2".

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 6

I use cookie sticks and/or popsicle sticks. If i use the popsicle sticks, I can roll the cookies thinner than using the cookie sticks (flat stick vs. round stick).

I've tried the skewers, but I didn't have any luck with those. I tried to fix the spinning with icing, and it did ok, but I didn't like that they seemed less stable. Plus, most of mine are for kids to eat, and the sharp point makes the mom in me freak out. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%