A Few Too Many Firsts My Story

Decorating By ChicagoAlex Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 4:37am by jules96

ChicagoAlex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChicagoAlex Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 14

Back-story:
I work for a company with 17 employees. About a year ago I took a couple of cake classes and wanted to start making all of the birthday cakes for work. My company pays me for ingredients and I do the work because it is my hobby. Another employee makes personalized cards, so we try and coordinate

Now for the story:
A few weeks ago the card maker and I were deciding what to do for the birthday this week. We were talking about a theme of big, funky flowers. I was searching through CC and came across one of Tonednas amazing cakes. I thought it was beautiful and a two tier version would be perfect for this occasion. I knew that there would be a lot of firsts for me and I was up for the challenge.

The firsts:
First Topsy Turvy
First time using WASC cake
First time making MMF (successfully at least)

Cake day was Wednesday this week. I baked the cakes and made the MMF on Sunday. So far so good. The recipe I tried was delicious. I even had enough batter left over to make 12 cupcakes for my BF to take to work on Monday. Monday night I filled, stacked, and carved the cakes. This is where the problems started. I used a fruit filling on top of a layer of BC. I thought I let it set enough but apparently not. When I went to taper the cake, I dont think my knife was sharp enough and the layers were sliding around. I got each tier looking pretty good so I crumb coated them and put them back in the fridge to set up again. Before work on Wednesday, I opened the fridge to see that the slanted layer of the top tier slid off of the cake. I fixed it and put some dowels in it to keep it in place while it set. When I got home from work on Wednesday I started putting fondant on the cakes. Then, disaster strikes! I am working hard to smooth out the fondant. I keep working at it and the MMF started tearing and the cakes were settling and losing shape. By the time I get to stack them, they dont even look topsy turvy anymore! At this point (6:30 pm) I decided that I couldnt take this into work and I needed to start over. I also realized I didnt have enough ingredients to remake the cakes and BC. I ran to the store, got what I needed and came home to start re-baking right away. I knew that I didnt have enough Fondant to cover the cakes so I went with BC instead. There was also no way that I would try another TT until I had more time to figure out what was wrong with the first one. Exactly 6 hours after I decided to start over, I was done and was extremely proud of the results!

In the end, everybody at work loved the cake!

Sorry for the very long post, I just wanted to share with a community that would be able to understand.

Inspiration Cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156565

Disaster Cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1325077.html

Final Cake!:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1325078.html

13 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 14

Topsy Turvy's can be a bit tricky! I never use fruit filling in a TT, only buttercream or something of similar consistency like pudding.

ChicagoAlex Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 14

I had a feeling that it was a mistake to use fruit filling. But, now I know!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 14

Great save!

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 14

The final result came out really cute! Nice work!

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 14

Also ChicagoAlex. just my humble opinion. I hate Marshamallow fondant. The flavor is great. Some people have amazing results with it. I find it gets hard, lumpy and tears. IF you try this again. I would try using a commercial fondant that has a bit more give. I love the workability of satin ice.

HTH!

ChicagoAlex Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks for all of the nice/helpful comments. I will definitely try a TT cake again when I have more time. What cake recipe would you suggest? Maybe that was part of my problem too?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 14

Sorry about you bad experience, but I wanted to tell you that I just saved your finished cake to my favorites about an hour ago (as well as a few other photos of yours - I like your stuff). It must have been heart-stopping, but the end result was great.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 14

I think you are very brave to take on one of Toneda creation to start with, she is one of the greats. WASC is a perfect receipe for carved cakes, many people use it. I also agree, using premade fondant is helpful, at least tell you get use to doing it. I bought some in 15 pd bucket at store last time (pettences((sp)) and it was 39.00. Still have some left and it keeps for long time and taste good. Satin Ice also very good , around 6.00 pd. I use wilton with micheals coupon for things that aren't going to be eaten, figures and such. I also agree should only use buttercream for anything carved. You can always add flavoring to it to get a different filling flavor. Also you have to chill or freeze well when carving and then crumbcoat and chill more. You did well for your first try and we always learn on each cake, even the good ones.

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 14

The finished cake looked great! I love the spurts coming out of the top! I really want to try the WASC too. I just want to do it for a practice cake first!

ChicagoAlex Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:21am
post #11 of 14

Thanks again for all of the great replies. I am going to have to find a local store that sells Satin Ice. I am looking forward to trying it!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:38am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

Also ChicagoAlex. just my humble opinion. I hate Marshamallow fondant. The flavor is great. Some people have amazing results with it. I find it gets hard, lumpy and tears. IF you try this again. I would try using a commercial fondant that has a bit more give. I love the workability of .

Boy you said it! Some people have great luck with one product and others can't use it no matter what they do. My problem is exactly the opposite of yours. I have always had good luck with MMF and I get frustrated with Satin Ice because it tends to tear. LOL. Good thing there are lots of products out there because our experiences are all so different. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:50am
post #13 of 14

I have to admit when I saw your disaster cake, I burst out laughing. I mean, first I looked at tonedna's cake, then at your disaster cake ... what a contrast. You poor thing! I can only imagine how frustrated you must have been! icon_lol.gif

The final cake looks great! I really like that big flower on the side and the top decor really makes it pop! You did a great 'save' on this one! thumbs_up.gif

jules96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules96 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:37am
post #14 of 14

your finished cake looks great, good luck on your next TT. You know it will be better cause we all learn from our mistakes. I will someday try one of these.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%