Hdi Serve A Cake With A Center Dowel?

Decorating By JenWhitlock Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm by kakeladi

JenWhitlock Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 6

ok. I'll start by saying, I usually don't cut my cakes... DH does icon_lol.gif
he's actually really good at it now, after all the practice cakes going to work, LOL!

I thinking of doing a cake for my mom that will likely require a center dowel (through the whole cake) - which I've never done before.

when you serve/deconstruct the cake do you have to pull the cake tiers up over the center dowel?
do you pull the top tier off and pull the dowel out?
is that hard?
is there any trick to it?

thanks!

5 replies
bakingatthebeach Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 6

I take the top tier off and then you can grab the dowel easier and just slowly twist it and pull it up. It comes out pretty easy. That way your not digging into the top of the top tier to get it, although I have done that (prior to delivery) and it slid out easy.

cheesecakes-galore Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 6

With the few that I have cut myself, I take the center dowel out first, if it is going through the top tier. Then I cut until top cake is gone, and take the board off. Go to the next tier and take out any supporting dowels and cut until it is gone. And continue with all tiers like that. It is pretty simple, just a little messy. But then again, it all depends on how you construct the cake.

JenWhitlock Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 6

thank you!!!

indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingatthebeach

I take the top tier off and then you can grab the dowel easier and just slowly twist it and pull it up. It comes out pretty easy. That way your not digging into the top of the top tier to get it, although I have done that (prior to delivery) and it slid out easy.

This is my suggestion, too. The reason I pull the top tier off, then pull out the center dowel is because I cut the largest tier first. The reaon I do that is because if you have any cake left over, it will be the smaller, easier to store tiers, and not a half of a big 'ole honkin' tier .... and a partially cut tier won't stay fresh as long as an uncut tier.

kakeladi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 6

I have always cut the center dowel at least 2-3" longer than the cake is high and remove it once the cake is at it's final place. The whole can be covered w/a flower, leaf or placed so it won't show at all.
To remove it twist some as you pull up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%