Teapot Question

Decorating By shanasweets Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 11:45pm by shanasweets

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 5

My dtr wants a teapot cake for her birthday. The problem is she wants this barbie image on the side of it. I ordered one and it is 8 in across. Now this cake is only for us and I surly don't need 4 cake receipes to make this thing big enough. I do have a 10 in dummy. I was thinking of using 10 in dummy for bottom and then stack a 10 in rounds, 8 in and 6 in. Problem is I think it is going to look more like a pitcher vs a tea pot. My other thought was to do a 8 in, (2) 10 in , 8 in, 6 in. Then carve. With a smaller bottom it would look more like teapot. Any other ideas would be great. I need it to be big to fit the image, not to feed people. Just going to take leftovers to work. I think I will have to make jumbo cupcakes for teacups, otherwise regular size will look so small.

4 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 5

How many servings DO you need? I would probably try make a dummy from a bowl on bottom, stack smaller dummies inside to get to the hight, fix (very well) cake board on top, and make only the upper half from a cake. Cover it completely.
Children go for the WOW - I don't think it will matter if half of it is dummy. But careful - it will be very top heavy.

shanasweets Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 5

As far as servings needed, I only need 5 or 6. Not really worried, I will just take extra to work. Would I actually use a glass bowl for the bottom? I have never seen bowl like dummies. It does have to have a space that is at least 9 in wide and height, for the image to be. I thought about a straight bottom and not tapering down at the bottom then I could use my 10in dummy, it is 4 in high, so it gives me some stability. Not sure I have a bowl that is 10 in across to put cake on.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 5

Let see. Attached is a picture, left my idea, right yours. Grey are dummies (your 10"x4") and by me cca 6" x 2,5" (can, bowl or something). You would need either find a suitable bowl - even cheap sturdy plastic from dollar store or use a can or smaller bowl and add a fondant around it.
Blue is the cake part, yellow your picture.
I would omit the 6" cake and go only with 10" and 8". If I could find stainless steel or glass bowl at home - shallower and coming around 10" - I would even bake the cake there. Cheap bowl, mind you.
LL

shanasweets Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 5

thanks alot or the pictures, not sure how you did that but very helpful. I will look at further, again thanks alot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%